Logo

74L wonbt start

fated666

"Engine turns do to starter. E

"Engine turns do to starter. Engine wouldn't lite. I thought I flooded it, that wasn't it. I checked the ignition coil wire to ground with a screw driver, no spark. I brought it home and checked the voltage at the positive and negative terminals of the ignition coil and get .5V with respect to ground. Is this normal? Any ideas what to check next?"

Need more info

year of moto

Need more info

year of motor/boat? efi or carbed? alpha outdrive or bravo? Points or electronic ingintion?

Remeber we cant see the boat or motor!!

"88' Glastron- Carb with B

"88' Glastron- Carb with Bravo Drive. Point ignition. I also double checked voltage, while cranking, off ignition coil and had 0V."

"If the motor cranks then you

"If the motor cranks then you have 12 volts to the key switch.
remove the purple wire from the + coil and recheck.
If you have 12 volts with the wire disconnected then you probably need new points and condensor.

When was the last time it was tuned up? DO NOT SAY LAST YEAR!!!
If you stilldo not have 12 volts then
Check the back of the key switch with the key in the ON/RUN position. you should have 12 volts on the PURPLE wire. This is the wire that feeds the coil.

If you do not, replace switch.
If you do then you need to check the big connector at the engine and find the purple wire/pin. Maybe someone can post wich pin.
If you have 12 volts at the pin then you need to follow the purple wire to the coil and look for a break. From the connector to the coil the wire is a resitor wire and has a resistance of ~ 2 ohms so the coil will only get ~ 9 - 10 volts.

try this and let us know...."

"Have the points and condenser

"Have the points and condenser been replaced? If the coil has a ballast resistor check for continuity. Replace if open circuit.

If there is no ballast, the purple wire on the positive terminal of the coil, should have 5 to 6 VDC. W/o ballast, the purple wire is a resistor wire. Trace it back to a terminal and check for 12 VDC. Measure continuity between disconnected coil wire and disconnected terminal point. If no continuity, replace resistor wire."

I bought the boat used last ye

I bought the boat used last year. I have no idea when it was last tuned up. But you guys have given me a bunch of stuff to try. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

"DO NOT WAIST YOUR TIME!!

T

"DO NOT WAIST YOUR TIME!!

TUNE IT UP FIRST!!!

new points, condensor, rotor, cap and wires and plugs!!the points, rotor and condensor should be done every year........

If you choose not to then this will continue to happen.
Also you can convert to an electronic conversion kit and do it once and be done! PERTRONIX I believe makes a kit ~ $100. or so"

"Will do!!! Question though, h

"Will do!!! Question though, how come the rotor and condensor have to be changed every year? Humidity/ moisture? What a crappy design then."

"You pay thousands for a boat

"You pay thousands for a boat but some will skimp on oil, filters, and tune up parts? WHY?

A tune up kit costs 20 - 30 dollars.
A eletronic conversion costs a hundred or so and then you only need to rplace cap and rotor when needed.

Your choice. When I serviced boats professionaly
I used to fill up 3 THREE 1 gallon zip lock bags a season with 1 year old points,rotors and condensors. No one, NOT ONE that I remember ever came back with ingintion issuse related to those replaced parts.................That is my justfication."

"Hey guys I got it. Had no vol

"Hey guys I got it. Had no voltage at purple disconnected coil wire, went to wire harness nothing their either at pin 5. Opened front panel nothing off key. Looked at purple wire and found it disconnected 3 inches away at a split. It couldn't be that easy right? plug it in fired right up. While running I unplugged the wire, killed engine. Thanks for your Help guys, I am back on the water this weekend."

Back