Logo

Crusader 270 rpm drop

R

Roger R.

"This is a late 1980's 270

"This is a late 1980's 270. It runs smooth w/o overheating. Recently I began having rpm drops, running at say 2200 it will suddenly drop to 1800, then if I give it more gas it'll come back up but will be drop again. Is this more likely to be water in the fuel, or a carb. problem -- a fluttering choke plate maybe? Any ideas would be welcome."

"All of the above, and bad new

"All of the above, and bad news on pistons. Suggest you start by changing the fuel filters.

Jeff"

"Where is the inline fuel filt

"Where is the inline fuel filter located on my crusader 270? I'm still feeling my way learning around this engine (Therom Electric serial # 20207) which I guess puts it in the late 1970's. The fuel water separator was easy to find, but I've yet to find the inline filter. Is it relatively easy to get to? Thanks."

"You might have one of those t

"You might have one of those tiny, virtually useless, engine-destroying filters located at the carb. If so, toss it out and install a large METAL in-line can filter (NAPA) before the carb and AFTER te fuel pump.

Jeff

PS: On a boat, fuel filters need to be changed regularly, several times a year in occaision--it's not like a car. I drain my water separator several times a month."

Back