Logo

1970 Evinrude 60 Electric Shift Problem

J

JSen

"I've poured over the othe

"I've poured over the other posts that came up relating to this topic. they helped me a ton in getting to where i am now. but now i'm stuck.

this engine has the hydroelectric switch set up. Neutral and Reverse take power, Forward is the default.

Forward gear does not engage. Reverse works when power is put to both the green and blue wires. I assume neutral is working as the prop turns freely with power to either the green or the blue individually.

i checked the switch. it seems to be working fine, but i removed it so i could isolate the wires and forward still didn't engage.

on the advice in another thread on this topic, i changed the lower unit oil, with Type "C" gear oil. the old stuff was milky so there was definitely water accumulated in there. forward gear still does not engage.

i found the blue and green wires at the knife/spade splice just before they head down into the leg. i took them apart, and no forward. i touched them together and reverse could be actuated, so i believe there are no wiring short circuits from the ignition box to the motor.

it has to be in the lower unit assembly. so what to do now? my dad suggested to change the oil again (in the lower unit) and repeat until it's not milky as the forward gear workings may be simply stuck due to the water that was in there. getting the oil clean and tapping on the gear housing to try to 'unjam' the stuck part. does that make any sense? or do i just pull it apart and cross my fingers? or is there fancy stuff i could do with an ohm meter that would give me more clues before turning bolts?"

"JS,

These units require no

"JS,

These units require no electricity or hydraulic pressure to remain in forward. A spring in the prop shaft drives the clutch dog into the gear.

I would guess that the neutral valve is stuck, or an oil passage is clogged, based on your description.

Another possibility is the spring in the prop shaft is broken or too weak to hold the clutch dog in gear. Maybe something is restricting the motion of the dog or the dog is damaged.

Either condition means that you have to take the gearcase apart, and then it should be obvious.

Tony"

"Well, i'll take it apart

"Well, i'll take it apart then and look at it long and hard to see if i can figure out what's not doing what it's supposed to be doing. Other than Type "C" oil, i don't have any Evinrude replacement supplies or parts on hand. Is there anything i should definitely get BEFORE i start disassembling?
sure learning about motors is FUN, but when it delays my fooling around on a lake with my first boat ever, it's not so much fun. ;) thanks for the help, Tony. with the help of this site's responders, i'm sure it will be back in use sooner and definitely cheaper than if i had to wait for an opening at a mechanic."

"I have an identical problem o

"I have an identical problem on mine, I have removed the lower unit and as I rotate the input shaft and hold the propshaft, it tries to turn then clicks and goes slack. It also clicks as I try to turn the prop shaft.

How do you remove the gearbox internals, after removing the four alen key bolts around the prop shaft, do you just pull or do you need to pull the drive sgaft first - help."

Back