Logo

Shifter cables Dont work when boat in water

marktwain_2

"Tried boat out after switchin

"Tried boat out after switching outdrives, worked fine on trailer with hose and muffs, shifted great forward and reverse. Took boat to lake to try out, went into reverse fine but wanted to stay in reverse, forward never got it to go into, ALSO FUN to get BACK on trailer "before anyone asks if I took boat off the trailer"- oh well at least didnt take to river. What would cause this?????? Can you buy new shifter and cables these are 31 years old???"

"Sounds like new shifter cable

"Sounds like new shifter cables are in order, and maybe your shift interrupt switch.
Check this site and others on the web. There are many suppliers. I am not sure of avialability for this vintage.

Rod"

"James

the best way to fix

"James

the best way to fix it is with putting a new shift cable, that means pulling the out drive off.
need to do this anyway to inspect other parts like the bellows, gimbile bearing, U Joints, all of those parts.....ect...

the new cable is the best, and after getting it in and all set up and all your other parts cked out.. I am sure you will be pleased.

the cable is tfxtreve 18-2190e
Make sure it is the 18-2190e And I promise you will be happy with it all"

Looking at cables what is the

Looking at cables what is the difference between 78 and up shift cables??? HUMMMMM I put a 83R pre alpha outdrive on a 77 pre alpha gimble but left the shift cable??? HELP????? Could this be something else the manuals forgot to talk about?????like the output shaft not working!!!

"Nope,...

The Differences i

"Nope,...

The Differences in the lower shift cables are the way they're loaded into the bellhousing...."

Back