Logo

GIMBLE HOUSING POWER TRIM SENDING UNIT

glazier

"I just recently bought a 1979

"I just recently bought a 1979 fishing boat with a 3l 140 mercruiser stern drive unit. My power trim sending unit is busted beyond repair. I purchased a new complete unit and even read the instructions. I went through my "seloc" manual 12 times and I'm still baffled. In the manual they refer to a hole to release the bellow screw. I do not have this hole, They also refer to removing the entire gimble housing. It looks like it hasn't seen grease in 23 years on the top or bottom end. Is there a simplier way to accomplish this task?"

Tom;
Check the topic a few do

Tom;
Check the topic a few down the list entitled"
"Screws for Trim Senders sheared off o..."
It covers most of what you are tryin to do I think.
Rod

"Rod,
I went through my manua

"Rod,
I went through my manual again. The entire chapter 8 on tilt/trim, with no luck. My manual was published in 1995, Perhaps theres a better one out there. A question that comes to mind. Where the actual sending unit piece fits in. It looks like a bearing, is it possible that that is threaded with a shoulder for the bearing, even though it looks like about a 3/8" hex would fit in there? Does that make any sense.?
Tom"

Tom;
Can you send a picture o

Tom;
Can you send a picture of the area in question? That might make it a little easier for us old farts to figure out how to answer your question.

Rod

"[b]"and even read the ins

""and even read the instructions. I went through my "seloc" manual 12 times and I'm still baffled. In the manual they,...I went through my manual again. The entire chapter 8 on tilt/trim, with no luck. My manual was published in 1995, Perhaps theres a better one out there."

Ayuh,....

There Is a Better Manual than Seloc,...
Actually,.. About Anything is Better than Seloc....

But,... Anyways,...
Go find the thread titled "Ayuh,.. The Backdoor is Again, Open"....
In there you can find the way to download the Mercruiser Factory Manual for your motor,+ drive....

I'll warn you,... It's a Huge file,... Give it time to download..."

trim sending units have troubl

trim sending units have trouble with the wires wearing thru and the units not working. if the wires are bad your in trouble. put a sticker over the gauge..if the unit is bad hook on wires in back. good luck with the screws. learn to use your ears to tell whats happeninig and forget gauge.

"Bondo,
What a fantastic link

"Bondo,
What a fantastic link! You were right it took about 4 hours to download three manuals. But it was worth every minute. The exact picture solving my problem(I believe) right there. Thanks again.
Rod, Thanks again for the effort, I had taken some pictures and was ready to send, but I think this manual will solve the problem.
huge file, small understatement, 1 1/2 gig.
Anyhow happy boating!

Tom"

"Gentlemen, I'm back! And

"Gentlemen, I'm back! And in need of your help again. My trim sender and limit sender switch troubles continue. I have installed the switches and the wiring for the trim limit switch, that was a breeze. However, not so with the sender switch. I can not locate the #10 brown/white wire coming from my wiring harness. I have read the downloaded manuals and all wiring diagram lead me to believe there should be 10 wires coming from my wiring harness, Yet the diagrams only show eight or nine leads. Plus my wiring harness does not resemble the wiring scematics in the manuals. When I bought the boat, there wasn't a trim gauge on board nor did it look like there was ever any holes for one. Also, no where in the manuals did I see reference at all to installing the trim gauge. The supplied directions with the gauge we're quite straight forward wiring wise, they refered to the sending unit but not to the wiring harness itself.
Any thoughts or help you guys could supply will be greatly appreciated!
tom"

Look in front of the main engi

Look in front of the main engine breaker assy. on the head for a ground wire and 1 or 2 wire terminal block. That's where my trim sender connects. Did you look behind the dash for the gauge wires?

Back