Logo

Anyone heard of Aluminum Fabricated Products Inc located in Perry Florida I decided to go with a new gas tanknead help

weider1717

Contributing Member
"After pulling the gas tank ou

"After pulling the gas tank out of my 84 dixie boat works super skier 199 I said I'll just get the pin hole welded..

well cleaned it up good today and poked around at a couple other areas where it looked like was starting another hole and they were soft.

I have all the info of the gas tank spec plate.

Aluminum Fabricated Products Inc.
Model# 36-25A-AF
Serial# 3-25A625
PHONE: (904) 584-6898
P.O. BOX 1107, PERRY FLORIDA 32347

Anyone ever had to replace a gas tank that they made? I would like the exact copy to it fits perfect bc this is a TIGHT fit buddy....

any help appreciated!"

"Ayuh,...

Have you called t

"Ayuh,...

Have you called the #s,..?? Are they still in business,..??"

"Where does the tank fit? Bel

"Where does the tank fit? Belly, bow or what? Take your measurements and look at the site on the right of the post under fuel."

mounts under the floor of the

mounts under the floor of the boat.

and yeah I know but I need to have the necks on the tank to match up so I can re-use the hoses...it would be a pain to route hoses and get the lengths and curves right to make it fit another tank..

LOOK IN YOUR LOCAL PHONE BOOK

LOOK IN YOUR LOCAL PHONE BOOK FOR A FABRICATION & WELDING SHOP. THEY MAY BE ABLE TO SALVAGE YOUR TANK W/A PARTIAL REPLACEMENT OR BUILD ONE TO MATCH. IF YOUR FUEL LINES ARE UNDER THE FLOOR ENCASED IN FOAM THEY MAY BE ROTTED AND SEAPING; MINE WERE. THAT'S WHY I WENT WITH A REAR FILL/VENT BELLY TANK.

My tank had that foam under it

My tank had that foam under it too it was half eaten away from the gas leak looked like..what should I do about replacing this foam?

but you're right I might get a shop to cut the bottom outta this tank and replace that bottom with new aluminum sheet metal.

Guy has the right idea. Someti

Guy has the right idea. Sometimes a welding/aluminum fab shop or even a well equipt radiator shop can fix your tank. Work the phones.

I don't see why you couldn't use expansion foam under the tank. Would put plastic around the tank (so you can remove it later if necessary) and set it in while the foam is wet. Then cut away the plastic.

Check with Guy as he's got a ton of hull experience.

where can u buy expansion foam

where can u buy expansion foam? I plan to have the bottom cut out and a new bottom put on the tank then lay some new foam down and sit her back in.

*I'll post pics of where the tank goes and the tank to get final sugguestions!

You want "closed cell foam

You want "closed cell foam"; try boat repair shops. I suggested to you earlier to use 1/4" thick rubber strips as shims on the bottom sides to allow air/water flow around the bottom of the tank. Limit the use of foam to the sides of the tank.

"ok guys here are the pics....

"ok guys here are the pics....u can see the tank and the holes there was only 1 hole but I poked around at a few of the places that looked like it was starting a hole and they were soft and eventually poked through..so theres several now.

see the foam I broke a piece off so u can see how it's laid out in there...should I replace this? doesn't look like any touched the bottom of the tank looks like the tank set on the ridge of the fiberglass hull u can see in the pic and the foam was on the sides between the ride and the bottom of the hull..

url]

url]
"

"Sam:

I don't know the

"Sam:

I don't know the depth of the fuel pit nor the dimensions of the tank. If you have a 1/2" clearence on all sides and top and bottom of the tank, use the blue foam board used in house construction. It won't hold water and will actually act as a cooler for the tank.

In photo #20 I see the bare circles on the floor where the tank makes contact. It appears the foam was filling the rest of the floor area. Does the floor have low spots built into it that would hold water? Could you tell if the tank perferated from the outside or the inside?

I know you are adament on repairing your tank. I see it is a rear fill/vent tank. Moeller tanks makes them that look like yours only made of HD plastic. They are quality tanks. Reconsider them."

"in photo 20 u mention the bar

"in photo 20 u mention the bare circles...and yes thats where the tank made contact, when the boat was new where there foam there inbetween where u see that bare spot and the tank? and over time it just went away?

y i ask is when i refoam this area so I will it up with foam even with where it contacts or put it over the area it contacts as well?

also where do u get the blue foam?"

"bare spot and the tank? a

"bare spot and the tank? and over time it just went away? "

Use rubber pads glued in place. Foam will "over time it just went away"

"good idea, so when the boat w

"good idea, so when the boat was new was there something where those bare spots are to keep the tank from rubbing or no?

wanting to see if it came like that or if what was there got beat down and disapered"

"also do u see a tank on moell

"also do u see a tank on moellers site that will work for me? if so ya i'll go that route but i don't see any like mine. I would have to give them demensions?

mine attaches to the motor at the back, and at the front of the tank is towards the bow and has the vent and filler neck.

mine is 25 gal"

Back