Logo

Electronicc ignition

vintage

Contributing Member
"What is the best electronic i

"What is the best electronic ingition to install on a 1973 Mercruiser inline six. I am thinking it is time to change points, so I think we will bring her into the late 20th century. Does it have to be "Marine" or will any good one work?

Eric<><"

"There is NO "marine"

"There is NO "marine" grade electronic conversion.

The only thing marine about a point ingnition is the distributor cap. No window to adjust the points as with auto's therefore no where for any spark to escape.

Any brand electronic conversion kit will work as long as one is available for the six cylinder distributor. You need that info, Brand such as ac delco or what ever it may be, I forget. There should be a id plate attached to the housing that will tell you."

"In my humble opinion, electro

"In my humble opinion, electronics is the way to go. http://pertronix.com should have what you need. Find your product number on their website and then go shop for it online. I've installed them on two boats and sold my father in law on pertronix on his boat. He noticed a better performance and smoother idling and quicker starting right away. And he's owned his boat for 35 years so he knows it inside and out. You just set and forget."

"Sounds like Pertronix is the

"Sounds like Pertronix is the way to go. I will look them up and do it.

Thanks,

Eric"

Back