Logo

Oil leaking from outdrive

oaklandaviator

"Hello everyone. I am a new me

"Hello everyone. I am a new member and fairly new to boating as well. Have learned a lot about my "new" old boat by lurking here for the past month or so.

I bought a 1976 Century Raven 190 with the 250 CI inline 6 Mercruiser 165 HP drive system. It has so far been the project I expected it to be! While working on changing the head gasket the other day, I noticed oil leaking from the rear of the boat. It appears to be coming from the transom where the outdrive (gimbal housing?) attaches to the boat. There is a small distribution manifold mounted under there that has the hoses running to the trim cylinders and this old trim system uses 30 wt oil for fluid. I pulled the manifold loose and saw the ends of two hoses attached to it, but I don't know if they are leaking or not although that is my suspicion since I already had to change one of the trim hoses on the outside.

My question is, if one or both of these hoses are leaking and it's coming from the transom seal, how do I re-seal it? Does the whole outdrive have to come off or can I put silicone around the gimbal housing. Also, I am getting a little water in the boat so I'm betting this is where it's coming from. The bellows look pretty good.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice."

"Thanks for the reply. I'l

"Thanks for the reply. I'll try the gasket on the manifold first and hopefully that's where the leak is. Couple of follow up questions though:

First, is there anything other than the trim hoses in that hole that could be leaking oil?

Second, if there's oil leaking out then I assume water could get in and might be my water leak. Does this manifold hole just go into the boat?

Thanks again!"

Back