Logo

Screws for Trim Senders sheared off on port side of Alpha One

happylandingboy

"While in the process of repla

"While in the process of replacing all the bellows 2 philips head screws holding the Trim Sender Switches sheared off on the port side of the gimbal ring. I tried drilling them but seem to be making the situation worse with traveling drill bit. Any idea's? Can I drill 2 new holes next to existing holes? What type of metal is the Gimbal ring, soft or hard? Can I use a reg drill bit? Any info would help."

The screws are stainless steel

The screws are stainless steel and you need a COBALT drill bit to properly drill them out.

You also need to make the surface as flat as possible and CENTER PUNCH them and start with a smaller drill bit then needed to get a good starting hole for the correct # 21 drill bit.

These screws are 10-32

"Once again Kghost, Thank You!

"Once again Kghost, Thank You! You've been a tremendous help. I knew I wasn't the only one out there that has had this dilema."

If you can not find a #21 coba

If you can not find a #21 cobalt drill then find a cobalt drill Aprox 1/2 the size of .159 (#21) say a 3/32 (.093) cobalt will work ( get a couple as you may break em ) and just buy a high speed steel #21. By predrilling with a smaller drill bit the high speed will finish the job just fine.

Back