Logo

Planning

bigdaddy36

"Hello to all I'm new to b

"Hello to all I'm new to boating. I just got a 1987 Sun 19ft cubby cabin w/gm 4cyl 3.0L. had to replace oilpan gasket, front main seal, and rebuilt the carb.. So my problem is I can't get the boat up to plane. it just seems sluggish. I thank you for any help all can provide."

"Just to get things into persp

"Just to get things into perspective.....

Was it running significantly better before you had to do this work - such that you see current performance as poor by comparison?

What size and pitch prop are you running, and what is the maximum rpm you currently obtain? What was the maximum rpm obtained earlier with that prop?"

when I got the boat I started

when I got the boat I started it with the muffes on acourse and i saw the oil leak. after that issue was fixed thats when I took it out and it ran fine except when you got on it. To me it seemed like on an auto trans on a car that just didn't shift. thats a friend said to rebuild the carb. to him it seemed like it wasn't getting gas. now the questions about the prop i'm lost on those questions. the rpm question to be honest I didn't take notice. I am taking the boat out Thursday to see if the carb. was the problem or not and this time I will watch the rpm gauge. I will let you know. Thanks for responding.

If you have any other props at

If you have any other props at your disposal try them out.
As a first try I would say you want a 15" or 17" pitch prop. If you have a 21" or something like that it is way too much prop. The previous owner may have thought that the boat would go faster with a higher pitch prop. It does not work like that.

Rod

"thank you for responding I go

"thank you for responding I got the problem fixed. after everything I added fresh gas to the tank, octane booster, and stab. and after about 20min of turning the boat finally planed the rpm's got up and it ran great. thanks again."

If you spent the money on rebu

If you spent the money on rebuilding the carb you should at least do the commen courtesy of giving it fresh gas! Especially if you don't know how long it's been sitting in the tank.

Back