Logo

1991 Alpha One Gen II Grinding Noise At Low Speed

jparker

I need help determining what a

I need help determining what a noise is that appears to be coming from a 1991 Alpha One Gen. II outdrive. When I put the boat into gear it starts making a noise until around 20 mph then stops. There is no noise in reverse...only in forward until I hit around 20 mph!!! It is a loud noise that sounds like gears grinding or something. This afternoon my father in law drained the lower unit fluid and nothing appears to be irregular. Is this something to do with the shift cable possibly? Please help.

"It otherwise accelerates norm

"It otherwise accelerates normally?
If not, it could be your prop hub slipping.
Try another prop to see if it helps.

Rod"

No it is not accelerating norm

No it is not accelerating normal. You have to throttle it alot to get it to go into gear and it makes the noise. No problems at high speed or more than half way throttle.

"I would say you should pull t

"I would say you should pull the drive and start checking things like the U joints, gimbal bearing, upper gears, etc. before it craters and gets a lot more expensive to repair.

Are you sure the upper gears have oil? A 1991 Gen II will have a small screw-in dipstick right in the top cover of the drive. Got a level in there?

Rod"

You may need a new lower shift

You may need a new lower shift cable if it is hard to get it into gear. I would plan on that also; especially if it is the original cable.

Rod

Back