Logo

37L 224CID 1986 Mercruiser Charging problem

tsr966

"I have a Mercruiser 3.7L 1986

"I have a Mercruiser 3.7L 1986 224C.I.D engine with power steering in my boat and I think the problem I have is with the stator and rotor. I bought the boat a week ago and it was charging fine but then I took it out this weekend and noticed when we were riding that the voltage was at about 11. We stopped to fish and when we tried to start the battery was dead. I happened to have an extra battery and got it going so I thought maybe it was the battery. We drove for about 15 minutes and still the voltage was at about 11 then it dropped to nothing and about a minute later the engine stalled out. We spent 3 hours waiting for a tow back to where we had our car and trailer. I charged both of my batteries back up but when I put one of the batteries back in the boat and connected the cables it sparked a lot and seems there is a load on it even with everything turned off. Could the load be coming from the stator, rotor, and or voltage regulator? Will disconnecting the old system and using your alternator conversion kit solve this problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,"

Sounds like the alternator or

Sounds like the alternator or regulator is shorted out.
Try disconnecting it then see if connecting the battery still causes a big spark.

Rod

Yes the alternator conversion

Yes the alternator conversion is the best way to fix this.... you can get a one wire marine alternator make your own bracket system and your problem is over.

Try Ebay if you want to buy a conversion kit or kits there are different kinds...

you can fix the system with new a new sator and water cooled Regulator if you want to keep it all original.

I have done it both ways and they have be very successful. If you fix it with the superceeded new parts you would want to make sure you have a good or new impeller in the out drive pump to make sure the Reg stays at the right temp. Moreover you must make sure all the wire connections are in the very best shape. I mean all of them. Hence this goes with makeing sure you have the best grounds through out the system as well. One bad ground will cause the chargeing system to fail.

hope this helps

K.

Thanks for the help. I looked

Thanks for the help. I looked at the Wagner kit and was hoping it would share the pulley with the power steering but it doesn't. The one I found on Breeze does share the same pully so I think I am going to try that one.

Back