Logo

43l v6 leaking oil pan sump

biddison2200

hi looks like my oil pan has r

hi looks like my oil pan has rusted through
as have ended up with a fair amount of engine oil in the bilge.

i take it now its a full engine pull to replace the oil pan

and does any one produce an alloy pan as the boat is used in the ocean.

cheers and hi to everyone as this is my frist post

"That's what needs to be d

"That's what needs to be done. You can get an alloy pan. If the steel pan lasted 10 years then I would go w/another steel pan. If you scuff the paint on the pan w/a green scotch pad you can coat the pan w/a spray can of truck bed liner which will protect it from the salt.

If you change your own oil, have the mech. install a remote oil drain to the pan drain.

Also have them loosen the starter bolts and retighten them. If they are frozen from salt it's better to replace the bolts now while the engine is out or you'll pay twice for the labor later. If it's an old starter consider a reman.
Mechanics don't like standing on their head to remove frozen starter bolts.

Another item is have them check the condition of the engine coupler. If it is worn now is the time to replace it w/the engine out; it's a 5 hr. labor charge if you do it later.

You may end up spending another $500 now but you'll be glad you did because you'll be getting the work done for one engine pull labor cost."

"Welcome John...

Are you su

"Welcome John...

Are you sure that the oil pan is the culprit? Is there a chance that the oil filter is leaking? Rotted through or leaking around the O ring. How about the drain plug? Is it loose, or leaking form the gasket? Or do you have a drain hose attached to the pan that comes out the back of the transom somewhere? This hose could be loose, fallen off, rotted through, rubbed through .....Changing the oil pan is a huge job, as you can well imagine, so check out all possibilities before you start pulling that motor. Get in there with a good trouble light or flashlight and a flexible mirror and check every corner of that bottom end.

Wrench"

well will double check but i t

well will double check but i think its the culprit
as its lost oil without even been run
its oil filter is top mounted so its not that and the pipes seam all intact the pan does feel corroded
and oil is present on the bottom of the pan so i think its weeping through
will try putting a paper tray under to pinpoint the exact spot.
if its the pan gone i'll get the mech to do the other jobs so thanks for the advice.

Get the one that was made for

Get the one that was made for that model engine or your oil dipstick will read wrong; too much or too little oil.

Back