Logo

Coil

firenze

I have a 89 Mercruiser 3 liter

I have a 89 Mercruiser 3 liter engine with standard ignition system. The coil has broken down twice requiring replacement. Both times it ran fine for a period then will run at low speed and engine very rough at high at high throttle with a lack of power. When a new one is put in it supposedly checks out fine. 10 volts to coil at idle and its within specs at the switch and elsewhere.

Any thoughts on what I should check out after engine running a while at load as it seems fine until its run at high speed for awhile.

"It that coil mounted firmly,

"It that coil mounted firmly, and in the original location? Vibration or excessive heat could kill it.

Jeff"

"Thanks FestJeff,

The coil

"Thanks FestJeff,

The coil is in its original position and seems to be firm. Would it pay to allow air into the engine by shimming the engine cover at the bottom or possibly keep the blower on. The coil does seem to be rather hot after running."

Burt:

Is that one of those

Burt:

Is that one of those coils that are supposed to run at a lower voltage (with a ballast resistor)?

Jeff

"Hummm... Got me stumped, Bur

"Hummm... Got me stumped, Burt. Does the coil get really warm in operation? If so, you might try relocating it to somewhere cooler.

Jeff"

You might want to try a coil t

You might want to try a coil that does not require external ballast resistance. Maybe there was mistake about the resistance wire.

Back