Logo

I need some help please 86 23 Litre OMC

B

boatinfan

"Hi all. I'm having a star

"Hi all. I'm having a starting issue on my 86 Bayliner Capri. Seems that when the motor has been run and warmed up, and I stop. I can't get it restarted. There's no spark. Could this be a coil issue? I was out on the lake the other day, started fine once launched, ran around the lake for a bit, stopped for 5-10 minutes started fine. Then ran 3/4 throttle for a good 1/2 hour, and stopped for 45 minutes or so, and it wouldn't restart. Pulled #1 plug and there wasn't any spark. Managed to get a tow back in and 1/2 way back I tried it again and she fired up. This is the 2nd or third time now, and each time I figured it was just dirty contacts etc. Each time I removed the dist. cap, cleaned contacts and after a bit it would start. Also, once before the motor was cold when I couldn't get it started, same thing, no spark. Seems to be an intermittant problem and i'm having trouble chasing it down. And of course the times that it happens, I don't have a volt meter with me to start chasing. I'm assuming coils go bad over time, when they go bad do they cause these intermittant issues? I've recently replaced plugs, wires, cleaned cap and points, and it was starting and running great until recently and selenoid (which once in awhile seems to stick, and I have to cross contact points before it will let me use the key) -could this problem be related?. Let me know please."

"Depends which solenoid you ar

"Depends which solenoid you are talking about. See the diagram below, the starter solenoid also provides 12v to the positive side of the coil. So your solenoid problem could very well be related. Maybe pickup a little cheap multimeter and leave on the boat so you can check at the coil next time.

217048.gif
"

"Yes, it's the starter sol

"Yes, it's the starter solenoid. I used an auto solenoid, just for the time being, so maybe the moiture is causing some issues.

Thanks for the insight. I'll check it out."

Back