Logo

671 nbs what a weekend offshore help needed loss of power

captrichnj

"Hello I am new here !! engine

"Hello I am new here !! engines 671 n's j&t 310 hp ea. in a 40 foot pacemaker sf 30,000 pounds 1.97 :1 twin disc. also the have n80 injectors in them are these too big?? she burns some fuel. I would like to think of my self as being mechanically inclined . Well we took the boat offshore this weekend to the canyons 78 nnm from our home port. I had an issue with my starboard engine running 20 (185) degrees hotter than my port. It never over heated. This season i took off the heat exchanger off the starboard engine took it apart and had it cleaned @ the radiator shop. I put it back on and on our last offshore trip with i ran the boat over 1950 rpm the temp would go up to 200 degrees and the warning buzzard would go off. I slowed the boat down and let the boat to about 1100 rpm and the temp guage dropped fast. I Popped the cap on the Heat exchanger and added a gallon of antifreeze. we headed back into port @ 1800 rpm. with no further issues. I assumed i should replace the thermostate and cirsulating pump . because @ this point i had clean the Heat exchanger flushed the coolant replace all of the water lines on the engine and the raw water pump. I would like to add the bottom is a little dirty and @ 1950 the boat cruises about 17 - 18 knots and this time it was running about 14 -15 knots.
Ok now this past weekend with the new circulating pump and thermo stat with no looks and the engine running 5 degrees cooler we headed offshore @ 12:39 am sunday morning it was pitch black out so I ran the boat @ 12 knots about 1700r's and no issues we fished and headed back in 20 miles in to the ride home running the boat @ 1850 r's the boat just bogged down and temp rised and would throttle back up i thought it may have been the fuel filter for the starboard side so i popped the emergancey hole in the racore and it didnt help and now the boat was over heating @ 1750 rpms and and the buzzard would go off. after themp dropped i brought it upto 1700 r's and the boat ran 12 knots for 70 miles .with out the buzzard going off again ...

This i have noticed bubbleing in the heat exchanger and oil weaping from the head gasket.
Also the raw water side of the egine is always cold !!!!.

Thanks for your time any help would be greatly apreciated."

Back