Logo

Ford 23 engine cuts out

ppdhowell

"I have a 1988 Bayliner with a

"I have a 1988 Bayliner with a 2.3 Ford. The motor runs great at first. After running the boat for 20 minutes or so, the engine will cut out for a sec. The more I run it the worse it gets. After a while it is cutting out every 10 seconds or so. I changed the fuel filter and dont think I have water in the fuel. At lower rpms, there is somewhat of a backfire so I suspect I am losing spark. Bad coil or what? I need help!"

"The backfire could be a lean

"The backfire could be a lean condition brought on by fuel starvation. Which filter did you change, the water/fuel separator (looks like a screw on oil filter) or right at the input to the carb? You might want to loosen off the fuel tank fill cap next time to see if it makes a difference (a clogged fuel tank vent will allow a vacumn buildup in the tank) there is also an anti-syphon valve at the fuel connection to the tank, these can get clogged and make it hard for the fuel pump to draw fuel from the tank.

When was the last time a tune up was done with plugs, points/condenser, cap, wires?"

I changed the screw on filter.

I changed the screw on filter. I havent done a tune up in a while because the engine always starts right up and runs smooth. At idle speed there is no problem. And I cant get it to do it in the driveway (but it aint at full throttle either). It will only do it under load and after it gets warmed up. I'll try the fuel cap and tune up first. thanks

"just from the mechanic aspect

"just from the mechanic aspect, i would suspect the coil if under load condition, fuel starvation is possible too and i would check the carb filter as recommended above.
i would think fuel starvation would lead to a few backfires from the lean condition though..."

Back