Logo

Disconnecting steering cable

fchris

"I have a 1987 Regal with the

"I have a 1987 Regal with the 3.7 merc 165hp 4 cyl.

Ok so i have read the posts and i know i have a frozen steering cable. So i went to replace it but i can't figure out the trick to get it to release from the tube assembly???

I have undone the nut at the coupler, but i can't get the cable to slide out of the assembly.. any help guys"

You may want to furnish the ma

You may want to furnish the maker of the steering unit for specific answer. Several makes are in common use and everyone I have worked on was different. Have you obtained new parts yet? You may get some clue from what comes in the replacement package.

"well no replacement parts yet

"well no replacement parts yet can't get the old one out to measure the length that i need for ner cable.. but the steering components are for the alpha 1 out drive. the cable is a moorse cable. I was assuming that when i undid the coupler bolt i would be able to slide the cable out of the steering tube, but it won't slide out..."

"You will have to be very care

"You will have to be very carefull and beat it out of the tube.

Sorry I do not believe there is any other way.

Just went thru this a couple of weeks ago myself.
My case was a power sterring set up but the basic hook up is the same and it would not pull out of the tube, A big dead blow hammer and some patients and it will come out.

As I said be carefull!! and take your time."

thanks for the advise...I star

thanks for the advise...I started doing that but didn't want to cause any damage.. is the eye hole that the pin goes through is that the end of the cable??? it seems thicker then the cable..

Is there a posibility of taking the steering tube off the power steering so that i can work on getting the cable out outside the boat??? it is really tight in the compartment and hard to get a good hit on it.

Yes the eye is a bit bigger bu

Yes the eye is a bit bigger but remeber that it went thru when installed so it has to come back out. The smaller diameter part of the cable is only so long and is the end of the cable that moves in and out. The only way to get the assembly out to work on it it to remove the whole power sterring assist assembly............SORRY.

ok thanks for the advise... wi

ok thanks for the advise... wish i had known about the frozen steering while i had the cooling system apart to fix the over heating.. there was a lot more room there with the cooling resevour removed....lol

"Before u tear the str assy ou

"Before u tear the str assy out, if u have power strg check the pump first. I had 2 professionals tell me it was the tube assy and it turned out to be the pump which I found my self by simple deduction. Crack the fluid lines and see if the fluid sprays out not just oozing out of the threads. Wear goggles!! All this after I tore the thing out. Cost $62 and 8 hrs of my time."

Back