Logo

1976 merc 470

"Unless you have the correct t

"Unless you have the correct tools, this is best done by a dealer. There are quite a few seals top and bottom end.

Where is the "bilage"?
If you mean the bilge; how much in what period of time?

Rod"

Don

Why do you have the ne

Don

Why do you have the need for outdrive reseal it is not the same as getting water in the BILAGE!!

Give us the reasons for each and we can help.

I have two things going on her

I have two things going on here 1 water in lower unit went to check oil in lower unit thats when the water oil came out. 2 Im also getting water coming in cant see where comining from thought sometimes alittle some times more this water also has slight white oil in water . was wonedring if this could be tied to lower unit ?
leak

"most likely place for water t

"most likely place for water to come in is via a faulty (ripped, rotted) driveshaft or shift cable bellows...these are the 2 rubber parts that can sink a boat if they rip as they are below the waterline. Check them out. You can buy a kit with both bellows and all related parts. The oil might very well be the upper seal leaking drive gear oil into the driveshaft bellows and then it's washing in with the water, (and your gear oil is white because it's milky from water getting in at either the same seal because your bellows is filling with water, or from the propshaft seal because it's got some fishing line in it) or it could just be grease as the bellows usually is greasy inside from grease flying out of the u joints."

Thanks sounds like winter proj

Thanks sounds like winter project I had boat out sat 5hrs sun 4hrs ran well will check propshaft seal. the drive and shift bellows look newer no vis rubber rot. the boating season is comming to end . Grouse season soon.I will keep new oil in lower unit untill I can get to it.

"Don:

I haven't hunted

"Don:

I haven't hunted grouse in 20 years. SE Ohio is the tail of the Appalachian Mt. chain and is loaded with grouse. One requirement is you have to be half mountain goat to hunt them. Sure do miss when one would sit tight until nearly stepped on and fly up behind me; nearly wet my pants each time--nothing but memories now.
sad.gif
"

"Yes Guy I understand me to, n

"Yes Guy I understand me to, not that many big hills here but the small ones are getting bigger every year am trying to load as many memories with family as possible and that includes THE BOAT."

Back