Logo

OK MY TURN Bravo 1 upper question

kghost

Silver Medal Contributor
"I finished the bravo 1 cone c

"I finished the bravo 1 cone clutch/all new gear assembly upgrade. Had to buy a new tool and a few additional parts to get everything correct.

Just got finished re installing it onto the boat.

Fired it up and adjusted the shift cables.

Shifts very nice now. It did not before!!

The question is (I do not have any real experience with the bravo's) The drive sounded a bit noisey???

It sounded like gear clatter from the upper.

It is not like the Alpha that you shim the drive shaft to a .025 depth and so on.

With the bravo the shim/thrust washers are a certain thickness and that number is stamped into the housing. ex: .094" for the upper and .091" for the lower. With the new gear set the thrust washers and the thrust bearings are different and the kit specifies that the .094 and the.091 change to .054 and ,051". I did that.

That is all that there is to do for shimming so it appears IT IS WHAT IT IS!!

So if anyone out there has any experience or knows someone who does please ask if this "gear chatter" sound is normal and if not what might be the cause.

I sent the guy on his way and he will be lake tested in a day or two.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks."

"Kghost;
I wish I knew the ex

"Kghost;
I wish I knew the exact answer, but I have no Bravo experience. I get nervous anytime gears or bearings make an abnormal amount of noise.

I gather the noise this Bravo makes is higher than that normal for a healthy Alpha running out of water?

Wonder if it might be a good idea to get hold of Merc tech help and get their input?

Rod"

I have contacted one who has r

I have contacted one who has responded on this site. Waiting for an answer now.

Not many around here or that I trust.

Not much I can do either. I followed the instructions to the T.

WIll know more in a day or 2 when he lake tests it. Hopefully it will be good news...........

"When you set up the - and the

"When you set up the - and the + on the cone clutch it creates a flutter in the shift fork, this helps to acheve the shift. I think this is what you hear. I have heard some bravos almost rattle while running on the hose. Sounds like you have things under control.
good luck./"

Thanks alot that is kinda what

Thanks alot that is kinda what I thought but because of my 0 experience and yes it was on a hose I had nothing to go on as far as the noise.

It did appear to quiet down a small amount after aprox a 1/2 hour of running on the hose.

Well we shal see if after the lake test I get a positive call..............May need to go and buy some more beer while waiting on this one............LOL

"Kghost;
Kind of like waiting

"Kghost;
Kind of like waiting for your 15 year old daughter to get home from her first date, huh?

Rod"

teeth nibbling on what is left

teeth nibbling on what is left of fingernails.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well The boat and owner went o

Well The boat and owner went out for a lake test. I was not there as I had other things to do......

He called me Friday morning and said so far so good. All worked as it should and no funny noises.
The shifting is exactly as it should!!

Not that the owner is a very experienced boater but good news is better than bad.

Lets hope he continues to have good luck. I know I HOPING!!!

Back