Logo

Pre alpha outdrive to a r

marktwain_2

"HELP!!!! I have a old 77 mark

"HELP!!!! I have a old 77 marktwain I have been redoing with a mer 140 inboard and a mer pre alpha outdrive, to make it short fill outdrive up it leaks out and the wrong gears 165, so Took a 83 140 mer outdrive R as mer manual said you can put a r onto a old style mount but not a old style to a r? The r shaft is a inch longer do I need to change shaft at ujoints to make it work book says nothing except what gasket to use??? HELP!!!!"

Well i tried it and it goes in

Well i tried it and it goes in and stops about a inch out? HELP is it me and keep trying or change the shaft to the shorter pre alpha

"i'd say at the point wher

"i'd say at the point where you are it would be the best bet to change shafts at the U joint, if the yolk cups are the same dimensions.

Rod"

YES I HOPE they are the same s

YES I HOPE they are the same size??? but from reading manuals the R engine and out drive are different but it looks like changing the shaft at the ujoints to the older shorter should work??? Has any one else tried this???? The manual does say that you cant take a pre alpha and mate to a r gimble as it will self destruct the shaft and says you can take a R to pre alpha gimble but does not say anything about inch longer shaft????

"put some grease on the END of

"put some grease on the END of the spline and try stuffing it in again--pull it back out and look- this will show you if the end is hitting...I suspect not... I don't think it's a length issue - I suspect an engine alignment issue because as I understand the extra inch will just extend a bit through the coupler and not cause any harm.
You are probably just feeling the spline hit the end of the worn part of the coupler spline due to misalignment, but check it with an alignment bar. Don't force it in, but I think it will go if aligned."

"James;
Hy may be right, but

"James;
Hy may be right, but I understand that the pre Alpha I-4 drives did in fact use a shorter input shaft; about 8 inches or so. I think the spline count may have been different also.

Bondo is the resident expert in the area of antique drives; perhaps he will chime in.

Rod"

"The drives look the same exce

"The drives look the same except the top cap, and the shaft is 1 inch longer, that is how far it sticks out so cant put nuts on, splines, ujoints look the same,just one inch longer shaft. As far as engine coupler and alignment the old outdrive slides right in?????"

"Changing the yolks with the u

"Changing the yolks with the upper shaft in the upper gear case is challenging, but can be done.
That sounds like your answer.
Lots of Wd-40 and a couple of big C clamps.
Careful with the snap rings; they tend to break easily. But I guess you have some spares, right?

Rod"

"Dont know how to get first uj

"Dont know how to get first ujoints out with out taking case apart, put just need the end joint and shaft, the pre alpha has a C on the shaft and the longer R has a B ?????"

Hi! i would like to know if a

Hi! i would like to know if a 1988 V6 chevy transom/gimble housing would fit a 1967 pre alpha 120/4cyl.

thank you.

"[b]"Hi! i would like to k

""Hi! i would like to know if a 1988 V6 chevy transom/gimble housing would fit a 1967 pre alpha 120/4cyl."

Ayuh,....

The Answer can be found by posting Your Own Thread, rather than Hyjacking James Baker's thread.....

Btw,.... Welcome Aboard,....
happy.gif
"

Back