Logo

Fuel pump roblem

odster66

"Just got the boat out of stor

"Just got the boat out of storage, I know a little late. The boat is not getting fuel and has an electric fuel pump (mercruiser 4.3xl). Checked the voltage to the fuel pump and it is good. I also have a jump to by pass the oil pressure switch that goes straight to the battery on a push switch. It seems even when I hit the straight to the battery power switch to the fuel pump there is not the normal clicking sound that it is supposed to have. In fact when I hit the push switch the fuel pump moves(just kind of jumps with one click) each time I press the swithch. This one click sound is with the bypass switch and the normal ignition. I feel like it is getting power but not spinning up like is normally does. Bad fuel pump?

Thanks in advance,"

Odie;
With all quiet you shou

Odie;
With all quiet you should hear the fuel pump whirring until it shuts off due to adequate pressure. I'd say its shot.

Rod

"Odie, the pump is bad,gumed u

"Odie, the pump is bad,gumed up. you can soak it in some carb cleaner and maybe free it up. but if you want a dependable boat, you will need to but a new pump.good luck."

"Before you toss the pump, hav

"Before you toss the pump, have your battery load tested at your nearest Autozone."

"Will test the battery load, i

"Will test the battery load, if not get a new pump.
Another rookie question...way rookie...if the boat is full of 2 year old gas, and I want to drain it what is the best way. I ask because there is not a plug labeled idiot gas plug, hose siphoning doesn’t seem to work...I know there’s a great idea but I have not been able to find it in the search function. Thanks again in advance for the help, O"

Disconnect all batteries and t

Disconnect all batteries and the carb fuel line at the tank and attach the siphon pump hose to the nipple. Other siphon hose end and receiver tank should be on the ground to prevent a static spark. No such thing as a "rookie" question.

"thanks for the understanding.

"thanks for the understanding. The fuel tank is under the floor of the boat. all I can sse in the engine compartment is a large hose that says fuel. Take the seat and floor out? Im willing just want to know I am going the right direction. i am a systems engineer by trade. If you need any computer or network help just let me know. :)

Thanks again,"

"Odie:

There has to be one

"Odie:

There has to be one or more access points to the fuel tank. Look for an 8-12" diameter round plastic disk on the floor. They are threaded and usually have a large "O" ring to seal out moisture. There will be indentations in the top to grab and twist; "lefty loosy, righty tighty". Spray some WD-40 around the lip of the plate if it won't budge. Or, take the screws out and remove the whole cover."

I got to the tank but I litera

I got to the tank but I literally had to tear a 2x3'board our of the brace back towards the engine and rear seat. All of the screws were carpeted over. the original carpet from what I can tell. They built to make it impossible to work on. What would you do with all of the 2 year old gas. Still smells normal but I want it out of there.

New fuel pump new gas and hope that that is the only problem....yes?

Odie:

I doubt it was an ori

Odie:

I doubt it was an original floor; tank access is required. Get an access panel from your local marina when you put it back together. Put a sign at the curb "FREE GAS" and tell them where it is from. Someone will take it.

"do have a recommendation t of

"do have a recommendation t oflush out a motor. I pulled off a water hose and although dry it was fairly rusted? thanks, O"

"I am 3/4 full, can I get the

"I am 3/4 full, can I get the fule pump replaced and run it out on the water....or is that a real bad idea? I jsut am not prepared to drain 40+ gallons of fuel. BUT if that is the thing to do I will find a way."

Don't pollute the water.

Don't pollute the water. Call around to some of the waste oil recyclers and see what they know.

Will the gas run in a lawnmower? If it will then fill the tank w/94 octane fuel and burn it in the boat.

Fuel pump works great and the

Fuel pump works great and the gas is fine. NEW PROBLEM-when running water is streaming out of the left side of the motor as I look at it by the motor mount. there is a large theaded hole. Plug of some kind? Cant be good! Ideas?

Back