Logo

Yamaha 250 HP OX 66 Swamped Boat and Now Engine Wonbt Engage Forward

H

halkman

"Had a near disaster Saturday

"Had a near disaster Saturday fishing with my buddy on his 30 Scarab powered by twin Yamaha 250 HP OX 66s. After an unproductive morning of sharking off Montauk followed by only a so-so fluke bite on the south side of Montauk, we stopped by Plum Gut on our way back to Greenport to try our luck at stripers/bluefish. Well the rip at the Gut was enormous, but we made the foolish mistake of thinking since we were in a 30 foot boat, we'd be ok. We were fine for about an hour, catching bluefish on the surface (crazy bite), but with me at the helm trying to get us out of the rip, a big wave I was riding on threw me into the wave in front of us, swamping the boat. Both engines were gunned getting us out of the rip, and after about 2 minutes of furious bailing, all the water came out of the boat (with a lot of help from the Scarab's bilges).

When we did get out of the rip, we realized that the starboard engine would only rev in forward gear. It sounds fine - doesn't sound like its missing or anything, but the boat won't go. We limped home on one engine. I thought maybe we spun the prop, but interestingly, the engine works in reverse. Again, she starts right up, sounds fine, revs out normally, but won't engaged. Was working fine right before we swamped - any ideas what may have happened? It may be a couple of weeks before my buddy can get back to his boat to pull out of the water.....

Thanks!

John

PS - thankfully, no one was hurt, and my friend did learn a valuable lesson that no boat is immune to mother nature."

Back