Logo

Merc 4 cylinder Sea Trials

bertg

Regular Contributor
"Finally got the tub in the wa

"Finally got the tub in the water after a lot of work on it.
Rebuilt engine
rebuilt Carb
New Fuel pump with filter
New water/ fuel separator filter and carb filter
Timing set a 8 degrees BTDC
Points at 22 thou
After a half hour in the lake, new plugs showed dusty brown burn pattern, with No.1 showing a tad rich.
At idle pulling off spark plug leads show noticable miss on each cylinder.
Idles at @700 seems to shift into forward and reverse fine.
17 Pitch prop according to the stamp
Electric choke is working fine.
Can't supply a RPM number as I have a tach on order.
On an 18 Ft. Deep V hull with two adults 20 gallons of gas and two 7 year old kids.
This thing is so sluggish it wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding on the hole shot. Takes around 15-20 seconds to get up to plane speed.
Any suggestions welcome.
(yes the trailer was left on shore and not attached to the boat
biggrin.gif
)
TIA
Bert"

"Hey Bert; where ya been?
Did

"Hey Bert; where ya been?
Did you have the anchor still out? That would do it.
How much does the boat weigh?
Might be too much prop.
Maybe try a 15" for fun, but it will mean a whole lot more after you get a tach in it.

Any chance she is waterlogged under the floor?
Rod"

"Rod
I had the floor out and

"Rod
I had the floor out and replaced some of the flooring during the refurbish. There is no foam in the cavities. I don't think the boat is overweight, (other than having me in it).
I'll wait for the tach. It should be here this week. The problem here, east of Edmonton is there are no lakes with any decent water in them to launch. Unless one wants to back out into the middle. Had to drive an hour and a half on Saturday to launch, whereas I have a lake about 10 minutes away that I can't get into.
Bert"

"Merc 4 cylinder? Which engine

"Merc 4 cylinder? Which engine, Merc used 3 different ones.

did you get the accelerator pump linkage in correct hole during carb assembly? (If you have the kind with 2 choices)

These days, the weights of the kids might mean more than the ages...there's some big 7 year olds at the mall

elevation? My 18.5' with merc 135 is no powerhouse but I'm certainly on plane in 6 or 7 seconds with 2 adults - at sea level"

Hy;
What prop are you running

Hy;
What prop are you running?

Bert;
Sounds like you are out around Cooking Lake or thereabouts? Know what you mean; around Calgary here there is not much naviagable water that requires more than hip waders. I just leave the boat at the cabin at Shuswap as a result. Saves hauling it back and forth.

Hope you get it worked out. Let us know.

Rod

I am running a 17P 3 blade alu

I am running a 17P 3 blade aluminum. wot around 4500 at about 34 mph

I thought of the prop slipping

I thought of the prop slipping but it feels like the boat and the engine speed are in sync. There just doesn't seem to be the jump there. Rod I figured 30 to 35 mph hr too. I'll wait until I get the tach and give it another go during the week when the seadoos are at home stored.
Bert

Back