Logo

2006 Yamaha 50HP Hard to start

usafeod

"I have a new 2006 purchased i

"I have a new 2006 purchased in 2007 that is almost impossible to start. It's so bad, when you take it off the trailer, you'd better push it away from the ramp because other boaters will about run over you while you're trying to get you junk cranked. The manuel tells me to turn the key on for 10 seconds & then crank. My certified Yamaha technician tells me to turn it to the crank positon and don't release it until it cranks, damn burning up the starter. When it does start, it catches on one cylinder, then shuts off. Then maybe on two & shuts off & eventually will finally crank. You want to put a bag over your head because you're so embarrsed with your new motor grinding away. My mechanic tells me the new electronic chokes are all like that? They tell me there's no adjusting because it's all sealed? Come on now, my old weed eater cranks better than this thing & it's 5 years old. In addition, it's just recently developed a don't wanna run problem, see my other post?"

"what sort of choke has it got

"what sort of choke has it got, a solenoid operated choke or the thermal enrichener. make sure the throttle plates are properley syncronised as well."

"They describe it as the elect

"They describe it as the electronic style, I guess as you said; the thermal enrichener type. It has no choke plates & it appears the throttle plates are even because it runs well after you get pass the embarrising cranking."

"it is called a prime start
b

"it is called a prime start
biggest mistake that yami made
what a pain in the but!!

your dealer did a very bad PDI
take it back, they will fix for free"

"What do you mean: "Your

"What do you mean: "Your dealer did a very bad PDI }take it back, they will fix for free." Either I have the dumbest dealer in the State or they don't do that here?"

"Sorry, I was not clear in som

"Sorry, I was not clear in some areas. I have had the motor about 9 months and it has about 30 hours on it. It has always been hard to start. Everyone says with the new generation thermal enrichment system is a pain in the butt but it cranks instantly after it has warmed up. I bought the motor in Destin, Fla. but have it servced in Perry, Fla. There was over a $1000.00 difference in price, had to make the drive. Warranty is warranty but looks like I'm paying for it now?"

Back