Logo

1993 Four winns 195 sundowner

C

Cassandra Webster

I am having an issuse with our

I am having an issuse with our boat we bought about a month ago....boat has a 5.0 omc cobra engine. I can get going and it runs ok for a while (2-3 mins) then it starts to cut out and at times it dies completely and sometimes if you pull the throttle back it will stay running. It seems to do it about 30 miles an hour or if you run it at one speed it will go for a few mins then it does it. We have replaced the coil..rotor...igition module...and the soleniod. The carb was just rebuilt and we had new spark plugs put in it....nothing seems to help it!! After we put in the module it runs a little longer at a faster speed. We also took the kill switch out. Anyone have and other suggestions for me? Please let me know thanks

Sounds more like a fuel relate

Sounds more like a fuel related issue.
Where the fuel filters changed also?
Check the fuel tank vent line for kinks or blockage.
Check the anti-syphon valve where the fuel line exits the tank.

Yes the fuel filters were chan

Yes the fuel filters were changed....but thank you for sayin something about the anti-syphon valve. Someone else had metioned that so I will have my fiance look at that and will let you know if it helps it. Any other suggestions??

yes it did...thats why we had

yes it did...thats why we had it rebuilt I am guessing.

"Also check the fuel tank vent

"Also check the fuel tank vent, next time out open up the filler cap, if the vent line is plugged it will cause a vacumn in the tank, if it's too strong for the fuel pump to overcome you will starve for fuel much the same if the anti-syphon valve is clogged."

ok....so Zach found the anit-s

ok....so Zach found the anit-syphon valve....doesnt know what he is to look for now?? doesnt know how to get it off either?? Should he be able to blow thru it? He said he was able to dont know if that is a good thing or a bad thing?? How do we check the fuel tank vent? where is it?

"Normally the anti-syphon valv

"Normally the anti-syphon valve is a 90 deg fitting. Inside is a spring and check ball. He shouldn't be able to blow through it because the spring should have closed it with the check ball. The vacumn from the fuel pump has to overcome the spring when the engine is running, once the engine is shut off it closes again. It's for safety should the fuel line rupture between the tank and the engine you don't want the bilge to fill with gas. Once you remove the fuel line the fitting itself usually just unscrews from the tank. You can soak them in a container of carb cleaner.

The fuel tank vent is normally a little fitting in the side or rear of the boat usually near the filler. It allows air to enter the tank as the fuel is used by the engine. Bugs have a habit of crawling in there and plugging it or sometimes the vent hose itself can get kinked shutting off the air."

So do you think we should just

So do you think we should just replace the valve then? Cause he was able to blow into the tank because he was unsure on how to take it off. And if you recommend that where can I get one?

"If you can blow backwards thr

"If you can blow backwards through the valve it is definitely bad , but not necessarily whats causing your problem. It still should be replaced. Back to the original problem...when you say "cutting out" do you mean the engine acts as if it is missing or running rough, or is it bogging down as if starving for fuel?"

It just bogs down....we can be

It just bogs down....we can be going twenty to thirty miles an hour and all of the sudden it just either dies and its like hitting a brick wall or starts to and if you pull the throttle back a little then it will stay running....But it gets worse the longer you run it.

"That was our ENTIRE problem..

"That was our ENTIRE problem....(the anti-syphon valve), We replaced it and it works so good now.....best it has EVER ran since we bought the boat!! Thank you guys so much for your help we had never heard of the anti-syphon valve before you guys metioned it!! This site was Very helpful and thanks again for all your help and suggestions!!"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
sun.gif
!!!!!!!!!!"

"I love it when a problem gets

"I love it when a problem gets solved here, but more, when the folks come back and let us know about it! We all learn from this. Great job!"

Back