Logo

Yamaha 40 HP 2Stroke 96 Mod Idle problem after full throttle

hansroald

"I have a 40 HP 2-Stroke 96 Mo

"I have a 40 HP 2-Stroke 96 Mod which has worked great up to now. But recently when the engine has been used with 3/4 to full throttle for a while it will not idle correctly after. This problem occurs when I reduce the throttle from about 4500 rpm to idle speed, 800 rpm. The engine starting to "cough" and then stop, but it can be restarted without any problem. Is there someone who knows the problem?"

How do I rebuild the carbs? Do

How do I rebuild the carbs? Does this job to be carried out by a professional Yamaha mechanic or can it be done by means of a Maintenance/Repair Manual like Seloc for instance? Your comments would be highly appreciated.

"um that is the cheap way of d

"um that is the cheap way of doing it

the right way is all new parts in there

new

needle, sometimes seats
floats
all new gaskets"

"why replace parts that dont n

"why replace parts that dont need it, sure if they need replacing do it, usually its just the gaskets that need replacing, never had to replace a float!"

"always replace the gaskets an

"always replace the gaskets and float
why not, u have it opened
plus it is insurance that u did the job right

i know of a few techs that did not, yep that boat came to me and i looked at it
had to rebuild the carbs again due to faulty gaskets that were re-used

do what u want, when u blow the powerhead do not coming running back for help"

"the only time a float would h

"the only time a float would have to be replaced is if the tang was broken due to someone altering float height, there made of plastic so they cant get saturated with fuel. just throwing money down the drain."

"so what guarantee is there th

"so what guarantee is there that the new float isnt going to crack, if its not already cracked why replace it."

Back