Logo

Rebuild on 1989 baja islander 20ft 43 2brl

C

charlton raynor

"have read this forum for a fe

"have read this forum for a few hours, lots of great info.I would appreciate any help i could get.I got the above boat w/new int & outdrv for a few $100 but has been sitting 3 yrs. I pulled the engine because the freeze plugs popped out on one side & passngr side mtr mounts pulled out. will repace engine but any suggestions on 4.3rebuild or 5.7 replacemnt? also any idea on fixing mtr mounts? will 5.7 move mtr mounts forward away frm bad holes? looking to spend $4k on motor."

"there's a seller in NJ re

"there's a seller in NJ recently on eBay selling complete new 2008 drop in 4.3 motors, complete with all electrical and everything for around $4000 - you cant beat that.
I bought a set of Merc exhaust manifolds off him, and I'm kinda wishing I had just bought a whole 4.3 "

"Im leaning towards high perfo

"Im leaning towards high performance 4.3, but worried about motor mounts. starter,alt,water pump & heads are all a few years old."

""any idea on fixing mtr m

""any idea on fixing mtr mounts?"

Before doing the mounts check the surrounding stringers, floor and transom for rot and moisture content. Once water intrudes the floatation foam it stays there and migrates into the floor and stringers. Only cure is to remove the floor and wet foam, dry out the stringers if not turned to wet mulch and treat them w/CPES.

The work is easy w/the motor out. Fuel tank can be pulled and cleaned while there. Transom rot is critical since the engine and OD could break loose.

Replacing the engine mount is simple. Support the engine from the side w/a piece of 2X6 and hydraulic jack. Remove the lag bolts from the mount. Use a sawzall to slice the fiberglass top off the mount. The bilge side of the mount will be stapled to the stringer. Now saw off the front of the mount and then run the saw between the mount and the inside of the fiberglass on the bilge side of the mount to free it from the staples. Slide the wood out.

You'll notice the wood of the mount is square and not attached to the hull. The stringer and staples were to carry the engine load. If the stringer is rotted it can be removed and replaced by cutting the top of the FG skin and the skin along the hull. The lower cut can be made with a hand held cutoff tool. If cut right, it can be epoxied and screwed back into place.

What you end up w/is the bilge side FG skin intact. Clean out all the wood to the hull and dry it well. Cut and fit the replacement wood. When fitting the new mount block, mark the location for the lag bolts so you can predrill the holes before installation and treat w/CPES.

Mix slow setting epoxy and glue the new stringer in place; run a few screws into it from the bilge side. Do the same for the mount and screw it in 4 places from the bilge side. If you cut a bevel on the stringer base so it fits to the hull, scuff the hull area first and lay in the epoxy first.

You can wait for the epoxy to cure or go ahead and glue and screw the skin you removed earlier.

For the mount use a solid block of yellow pine of laminate sections of 2X4 yellow pine w/epoxy.
Cut it to fit snug into place w/room to glob in epoxy w/the texture of soft butter to take up any air space. NOTE: YOU HAVE TO WORK FAST W/EPOXY IN WARM WEATHER. MIX SMALL BATCHES AND KEEP IT STIRRED OR THE CATYLIST WILL BEGIN TO HARDEN IN THE MIDDLE. YOU'LL KNOW IT WHEN THE EPOXY STARTS TO WARM. KEEP THE MIXED EPOXY IN ICE TO EXTEND THE WORK LIFE.

Cover the top of the new mount and stringer w/2 layers of 20 oz. fiberglass cloth saturated with epoxy.

BIG NOTE: USE EPOXY AND NOT POLYESTHER RESIN. EPOXY WILL STICK TO POLY. BUT NOT VICE VERSA!"

"Thanks guy.
no signs o

"Thanks guy.
no signs of moisture anywhere. even the motor mount bolt holes that pulled out had no signs of moisture. the wood was dry and clean. i pulled the fuel tank to remove the engine thats when i discovered the loose bolts. i think they had worked out over a long period of time, the short block had 6800 hrs on it.
driver side motor mount bolts and transom bolts are fine. is it possible to use larger lag bolts on passenger side? or should i go ahead and replace that section of wood as you described?"

"charlton:

Since the engine

"charlton:

Since the engine mount bases are solid but just enlarged, you can try to fit larger lag bolts to fill the voids. Consider using stainless bolts and washers.

Instead of larger bolts I would clean the holes w/brake clean and compressed air. Then fill the holes in the bases w/a mixture of 30 min. epoxy and sifted sawdust. Make a thick putty mixture and tamp it into the holes a little at a time w/a piece of dowel rod or equal; just smaller than the bolt. Wait 48 hours and drill pilot holes for the lag bolts. Use a drill bit half the size of the lag bolt diameter. Note: the old threads will help contain the epoxy plugs and the lag bolts will grip tighter to the epoxy/sawdust plug."

"Charlton;
You will only get

"Charlton;
You will only get about 220 hp max out of a "high performance" 4.3. And it will never sound like a V-8 no matter what you do.

If you are going to repower, why not get a good performance boost at the same time and put in a 270 hp 5.7 V-8; or better yet a 320 hp 6.2 MPI.

If you go with a fully dressed package you will get all new everything from the bellhousing forward, and buy yourself some peace of mind and reliability for a few years. Sure, it costs more than just buying a long block and swapping over accessories, but at least you know where you are with everything.

Both the 5.7 and 6.2 are the same basic Chevy small block as the 4.3; just with 2 more cylinders.
They are all the same width to the outside of the manifolds, and close to the same height to the top of the flame arrestor. They are about 4.5" longer than the 4.3.
They all use the same exhaust Y pipe.
If you have the doghouse length, it's a drop in replacement.

You could use the same 1.84 ratio drive, but it would be better to swap to a 1.50 drive.

Rod"

"6800 must be a typo... 680 ma

"6800 must be a typo... 680 maybe?

I was figuring what it would cost me to run 6800 hours with my V6 at today's fuel prices and that's over $100,000.00"

"Hey thanks for the great advi

"Hey thanks for the great advice guys!
but yea 6800 hrs on the meter, it blew my mind. have known the previous owner for years. always stored inside and well maintained. orig block but rebuilt heads & carb a few years before it sat.
I found a couple of 4.3 hi po long blocks for about $3k a 260hp & 270hp (claimed) but would need to buy a 4bbl. I really like the sound of the v8 though. could i poss get a 5.7 complete w/carb & exhaust manifolds for a similar price?I also have to consider lower unit. From what ive read alpha 1 is only good to 300hp.
Also thought about buying rebuilt auto longblock $900, v6 or 8 and switching cam, freeze plugs & gaskets? sorry for so many questions. just looking for the most reliable bang for my bucks.. thanks again."

"I am running my Gen II Alpha

"I am running my Gen II Alpha with a 320 hp 6.2 MAG MPI and so far so good.
I swapped over from a 180 hp 4.3L.

Check this site for engine packages, as well as Michigan Motorz, and Jasper Engines. There are others as well. Check ebay also.
Beware of inflated hp claims for the 4.3L.
Its a good solid engine but 270 hp out of 262 cubic inches is a bit much if you expect good reliability in a marine engine that the average guy can afford.

Also you need to be able to burn any crap gas that you might be able to buy at the marina. This means that 9.0:1 compression ratio is about tops.

Rod"

Call me skeptical but I am hav

Call me skeptical but I am having trouble with 6800 hours.
Are you sure that is not 680.0 hours?
The far right hand digit on most hour meters I have seen is 1/10 hours.

Rod

"thanks rod.
but yeap, 6800 p

"thanks rod.
but yeap, 6800 plus the 1/10 hours will send pics of boat & hr meter if u want. leaning towards the v8 now. called a few motor exchanges and am having trouble w/ the price differences. knowing the only dif is the cam, freeze plug & gaskets. same company, $900 v8 auto long block vs $2300 marine?? confused."

Back