Logo

Water in oil

watkijam6

after replacing all electrical

after replacing all electrical parts and fuel parts engine finally started up...but had to shut down real fast....water came out of the dipstick tube and valve covers...pulled the plugs...had water in the cylinders...finally got water out of oil..did a compression test..all cyl. over 150 except #3...it was 90..squrted WD 40 in and comp. went to 95...does that tell me i have a bad head gasket or could i have bad gasket and bad exhaust manifold..not going to give up..i am determine to have this boat in the water next summer...please help

"Sounds like a head gasket.

"Sounds like a head gasket.

I am not sure I would waste anymore time.

Either buy a known good used motor or new one or pull this one out and get it checked out and or rebiult. Either way 150 lbs in 3 out of 4 and 90 in one says something is wrong down under.

I would think getting a motor rebiuld shop in on it might expose the issue if you are unable to find it.

All cylinders should be within 10% or less for cranking compression, so you should see 150 lbs +/- 15 lbs. Anything more than 10% represents a issue. With one at 90lbs, HUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM!!"

that cylinder will have a bent

that cylinder will have a bent valve from hydrolocking on the water coming in from you failed exhaust system

good point on the bent valve.

good point on the bent valve.

I am not paying strict attention to every detail in the posts here because it appears to be somewhat catastofic failure.

Either way the motor will need some dissasembly and diagnostics. I recomend a good replacement and be done with it and start enjoying it.

thanks for the input guys...no

thanks for the input guys...not ready to give up on this engine yet..but think i will replace while i work on it..its a MerCruiser GM 350 260 hp V8...any ideals on a replacement..i'm still a working man with bills...don't want to take a chance on anything used...can't afford a complete new engine...this boat was a gift (free)..everything that bolts on the engine is new...had to before it would start and run

Back