Logo

30L Mercruiser water in flywheel housing

lee_in_nc

"Just came in from a boat ride

"Just came in from a boat ride, running fine. Parked at the dock and heard water dripping in the bilge. It appeared to be coming from the bottom of the flywheel housing. No sign of water coming from the transom area (ie a bellows leak). The water is hot, is not oily, no water visible on dipstick. This is a raw water cooled engine. Idling the engine at the dock water starts pouring from the bottom of the flywheel housing. It's a pretty good flow, not just a drip. Boat has been running fine except is idling a little rough. WOT RPMs and performance were fine. I can't figure how what appears to be cooling water gets into the flywheel housing. It's a 94 3.0L Alpha 1 drive. I must be missing something obvious. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lee"

"Thanks. Bet you are right.

"Thanks. Bet you are right. Is this the classic $2 part that you have to pull the engine to replace? Any way to fix it without pulling the engine?

Thanks,

Lee"

I believe it needs the engine

I believe it needs the engine pulled since flywheel may be in the way; not 100% sure. Maybe one of the engine gurus can tell you.

"Ayuh,....

There's No w

"Ayuh,....

There's No way around Pulling the motor to replace those Coreplugs...."

check all core plugs if one is

check all core plugs if one is pushed out maybe the others are ready to pop. be sure to use brass core plugs.

Back