Logo

1989 Forester 166 Phantom Wiring question

sobitthen

"Bought this boat cheap withou

"Bought this boat cheap without a starter-battery-solenoid-cables. There are other items needed as well, I will list at end of thread.

Anyhow, I was trying to put this together and see what it needs when I came across a sticker near the starter with a picture of a battery and a grounding icon near the + side of battery, not linked to it though.
Do some of these 2.3 Cobra units run positive ground? I don't want to fry anything and cause further problems.
I hooked up a standard grounded solenoid to system without fuses and tested if engine cranked, it does.
Was going to buy some fuses tomorrow, they were removed prior to my purchasing boat, and test boat to see if I had spark, but wanted to ask if anyone had seen these units running positive ground in 1989.

Anyhow onto what else I need, the boat is lacking an instrument cluster and the trim motor is seized. This boat ended up being the persons parts boat, they had another Forester, and they removed what they wanted and sold the rest cheap. Supposedly it has a new gimble bearing and u-joints, they appear new. Going to hang the lower unit back on so I can run some water through the block and see if it fires up.
Just waiting on replies to see if I am going to cook something leaving this hooked up negative ground..."

"Another question..
How do yo

"Another question..
How do you properly start a boat?

Do you pull throttle back then back to neutral several times to actuate the accelerator pump and engage the choke or is there another way?
I just noticed that I was unable to turn over the boat by key with any throttle position other than idle in neutral.
It is carburated so I need to pump it a couple times or at least have choke activated prior to starting and I didn't see how this was done...

So far, since the boat wasn't laid up properly, I believe I may have a sticking valve, since it backfires out carb or exhaust when attempting to start.
Timing is right on-points are good, new plugs-bright white spark. It did almost start when I poured 6oz of oil down the carb, thinking rings were dry or at least an attempt to get some oil to splash up on the valve stem if they are sticking.
Not much experience with I/O carburated boats..."

The gearshift has a neutral sa

The gearshift has a neutral safety start switch in it much like a car with an auto xmission. Depending on the type of lever you have you may need to pull it out sideways or there may be a button to release it. This will the gearshift linkage to disengage while you advance the throttle. Usually a couple of pumps is all it should need if the choke sets and there was gas in the bowl and the carb is working properly.

"Thanks, the shift did pull ou

"Thanks, the shift did pull out to allow use of the throttle, guess I had seen others do this to think of it. Near virgin boater... LOL..."

Back