Logo

Lower Unit Gen 1 and R

kevin8or

Contributing Member
"Does anyone know if I can use

"Does anyone know if I can use a Gen 1 lower unit and replace gear pack and seals, and mount it to a R unit? I have a cracked lower and found a older drive. The lower case look the same as my R lower. The difference I can see is the Gen 1 is a manaul lift instead of a power trim.

I been told the lower gen 1 can be rebuilt with my gears and all and then it will bolt to my R upper unit..........

thanks Kevin"

"By "Gen I" I assume y

"By "Gen I" I assume you mean an Alpha One?
The lower units should be directly interchangeable between this and an R drive.
Suggest you dissassemle both and check for any differences.

Bondo, do you know for sure?

Rod"

nope it is not a "alpha on

nope it is not a "alpha one" The drive is early 70's or late 60's and it is a manual not a Power Trim. You have to let it down by hand.

My book call it a Model 1 or Gen 1.

My drive is a R with 1.84 gear pack.

I need to know if this Model 1 will bolt to my R.
I am just talking about the lower part of the outdrive. the gear case houseing. It looks the same but I don't know about all the bearing and parts going into it.....or what I need to do to make it work

I want to rebuild it useing new seals and my gears since it not a 1.84........My lower unit is cracked and leaking oil.

thanks....

I thought manual lift (196

I thought manual lift (1960's) was called the "0" drive .
I thought 1 and R were the same thing.

What i have done before is go to doug russell site and look up the parts and cross reference the numbers if it goes back that far.

I did that to find out my Gen II upper can use the gears out of an alpha 1 upper...I was surprised

"here is what i see in my clym

"here is what i see in my clymer shop manual in the stern drive part.

it uses Model 1
model 11

it has MR
and R
Alpha
TRS

In the Marine Engine parts catalog it uses the
referances....

Gen 1
Gen 11

Alapha
Bravo

R
MCM..... and so on...

but I see the cases look the same I just don't know if they are on the inside to put my gears in it.

the the stern drive number is 0842457
and the engine model number is a 140 hp. with the number B407583.... up loaded 2 pics of it.

216755.jpg
pics"">
216756.jpg
picture

I want to use this case for my

I want to use this case for my R drive since it is cracked need to know if it will work......(just the lower part) of the drive

"Ayuh,...

I believe you&#39

"Ayuh,...

I believe you'll find the Spline Count is Different in those Old Antique Mod.0s,+ the Early Mod.1s....

Btw,...
Ratio changes, aka. the 1.84:1, is changed in the Upper Unit....
All of the Merc Lower units are 1.65:1, up until very recently with the later Alpha, Gen.IIs..."

but you still wont be able to

but you still wont be able to use the gear set.
the number of splines is different between the upper gear and the lower driveshaft.

"I have been told by a mechani

"I have been told by a mechanic that my whole gear pack bearings... shaft everything can go into this lower unit and I can bolt it to the upper gear case..then everything will be synchranize...I am not wanting to miss match the two halves, I just want to use the bottom case because mine has a crack.

I am just wanting to get all opinions from more people who would know about the units....

thanks"

BT Doctur

what shaft are yo

BT Doctur

what shaft are you saying will not work?

If I use my entire shaft and gears assembly I don't see what you are saying???? Please explain in more detail what you mean????

remember I am only wanting to use the very lower gear case of the drive. And not the gears and shaft which is in it.

the case is what I have been told will mate with my upper case. I was just wanting more input about the case mating with mine..

thanks for your help.

"Rod

I guss water and snow

"Rod

I guss water and snow bluid up in the houseing.. I left the drive up two winters ago. and there is a six inch crack running parallel with the lower shaft that runs the prop. It is leaking oil from the crack and there is water getting into the unit through the crack.

I have had a few of these welded in the past, but this other lower drive came avl. to me use. I was just going to change my gear pack and shaft with new seals....

what did you have in mind?"

Back