Logo

WHEW pulled the gas tank tonight had a tiny leak near the back end should i weld it or seal it form within or both please help

weider1717

Contributing Member
heard it leaking very slighty

heard it leaking very slighty when i was in my garage so drained it and after that my dad and i spent about 3hrs getting it out its a 25gal and was in there tight!

anyway..anyone have any expierence with fixing a gas tank like this? it looks in great cond. it's aluminum and besides this tiny pin hole in great shape. Looking inside i see very very little rust very minor..

i can weld a little but would rather someone else do it since i'm kinda scared with it being a gas tank.

also the foam like subtance thats UNDER the tank is in bad shape and looks to be eaten away at some by the gas leak that has leaked on it during the winter..

what should i replace it with? any certain foam type material thats fitted for this use?

btw..didn't know where else to post this still new to forum

"pin holes come plural, sand b

"pin holes come plural, sand blast/bead blast/ some type of media over the tank, almost positive you`ll find another.
TIG or Heli-Arc is the way to go. clean and wash the inside, fill with a inert gas completely, then weld up the holes.
Last time i checked tanks were about $9.00/gal.capacity for a new one.You dont list a year so if it`s atleast 15 go for a new one."

"well, I wouldn't be oppos

"well, I wouldn't be opposed to being a new tank this is out of a 1984 boat..I have the model number and all but I can't find the name brand of the tank on the internet guess they might be out of business?

it says this on the info tag on the tank:

aluminum fabricated product..AFP
AFP

MODEL: 36-25A-AF

anyone know of this company? i'd by a new one if they still offer this exact tank because it's a snug fit I don't want to go elsewhere and come up it not quiet fit."

"I am guessing you will have t

"I am guessing you will have trouble getting an exact match to your tank if its over 10 or 15 years old, unless you can track down the original manufacturer.
Is there a label on the tank that gives the address or phone no of AFP?

I think you are better off repairing what you have. You should do a pressure test with a few ounces of air pressure (use a bicycle pump and a Schrader valve). Use only moderate pressure to avoid deforming the flat surfaces.

Use soapy water solution on all the welds and seams, especially around fittings. Look for bubles. If you find any more leaks, mark them, then get them all welded up per Bt Doctur's advice. You should be good to go.

The foam material is probably intended to dampen impact loading on the bottom of the tank due to waves and boat action. You can likely replace it with any reasonably similar foam product from Home Depot.

Rod"

"Fixing old tanks can be succe

"Fixing old tanks can be successful but will fail again; WHEN? I would sell it for the scrap value which is pretty good and replace it w/one like mine.

Tank model #39541 - Moeller Belly Tank, 29 gal., 25-3/4"W, 43"L, 8"D $274.99

I bought the above tank that fit perfectly. Replaced fill and vent lines too. No need for holes in the floor w/rear fuel sender and hose connections. If you can't get one the exact size then go small enough to fit and block it in w/CPES treated wood blocking.

I also used 4"X12"X1/4" thick rubber strips around the tank and under it at the contact points except for the bottom center to allow water drainage.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/catalog.cgi?cname=Below-Deck-Gas-Tanks&r =browse&aID=21C"

"cleaned the outside of the ta

"cleaned the outside of the tank up really good with some degreaser and brush then hit it with some wet/dry 600 then 800 grit sand paper.....didn't need that really but looks 100% new/fresh aluminum now!

now just need to get that pin hole welded and slicked down THEN find some sort of foam replacement to cushsion the tank

I love looking back on a well done project!"

Back