Logo

Alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive

bill_k

Regular Contributor
"I will try to explain this as

"I will try to explain this as best as poss. cruising at 2000 rpms everything was fine, as soon as I gave it more throttle the starboard motor locked up. pulled all the plugs and everything looked fine tried to turn over by hand and it wouldn't budge, put it in gear and tried to turn the prop and heard a clank so I tried turning the motor over and it turned over fine. put all plugs back in and it started right up and ran great. not knowing what was wrong I haven't tried driving it yet.

So my question is what would lock the motor up in the out drive"

""So my question is what w

""So my question is what would lock the motor up in the out drive?"

Nothing good, thats for sure.

My first thought would be the drive dropped a chunk of gear tooth, and it got caught up between meshing gear teeth. This usually locks them up solid, and often causes the case to crack because of the side stresses between the gears.
Depending on how highly you value reliability, you may want to have the drive dissassembled and inspected for damage.
Or you may just want to chance it and let her rip and see what happens. If she blows up you can replace it inexpensively with an SEI.
Ever had a prop strike on the drive?

Rod"

"U joint, chipped tooth from a

"U joint, chipped tooth from a gear, no oil in the drive can sieze a driveshaft and bearing.
check level and condition of the drive oil and let us know."

"I am going to limp her over t

"I am going to limp her over to the boat ramp either this weekend or next and once on a trailer yank the out drive and see what I find, I will let you know what I find..."

"Bill;
Once you have it out o

"Bill;
Once you have it out of the water, drain a small sample of fluid from the drain plug, and look closely at it and the magnet on the plug. That will give you a good first indication of what to expect.

Rod"

Back