Logo

Yamaha 40 bogging mystery

fishnemesis

"This mystery involves a 1999

"This mystery involves a 1999 yamaha 40hp outboard. The problem is with it bogging constantly anytime it needs the slightest bit extra power. If I am bringing it in from offshore and am going up the back side of a swell where it needs a little extra power it bogs, When I have any extra weight in the boat it bogs. If I look at it funny it bogs. The bogging it self is a little strange as well. It will slowly lose power over the coarse of about a minute, where it will go from having full power to about idle speed while still at full throttle. By moving the throttle back to neutral for half a second it regains the full power. One any given day it will do this every couple of minutes though for no reason I can figure out every once in a while it runs perfect for 20 minutes to a half hour at a time. I have asked many mechanics and anyone else I know with a boat if they have any idea what could be causing it. So far nobody can figure it out. If any one out there has had a similar problem or can point me in the right direction it would be very appreciated."

No the primer ball is fine. An

No the primer ball is fine. And there is no water in the tank. This has been going on for 3 years and the gas tank and primer balls have both been replaced in that time.
Thanks though.

"Curious what the results are

"Curious what the results are of the fuel pressure test. Also, have you had those carbs removed and cleaned?"

Back