Logo

Sand in engine thermostat

john_wbl

I have a new 350 Mag Bravo III

I have a new 350 Mag Bravo III engine that I have had to clean sand out of the stuck thermostat three times this season. I have tried to be careful pulling up and out of beach areas -- but you can only control sand in the water so much! I would see this as a design improvement opportunity for Mercury to consider an easy to change or clean out filter ahead of the thermostat.
Any suggestions on how-to avoid this problem?!
Thanks

Don't beach in shallow san

Don't beach in shallow sandy areas?
Paddle the last 10 feet to shore?

With that much sand coming in I would be more concerned about build up in quiet areas of the block and heads. Have you tried a thorough block flush anytime lately?
Do the block drain holes drain water freely?

Rod

if you got sand that far it`s

if you got sand that far it`s already in the block.Try removing the block drains to see it they still do drain and are not plugged by sand.

"Be assured that ya got sand i

"Be assured that ya got sand in the block and the heads.
Remove the supply hose from the outdrive to the block. Install a Prestone flush kit and using considerable water pressure, back flush the system with the thermostat removed and thermostat housing installed.
Get a water filter assy from the plumbing shop and install it in line with the supply hose to the block. Mount it in a place where you can easily get to it to change filters.
You do not have to ground the outdrive to suck sand, just close is all that is needed to stir up a cloud of sand and suck it into the system.
Good luck
Bill"

"Ayuh,....

I suppose you co

"Ayuh,....

I suppose you could install a Sea Strainer,...
But,..
I doubt it would stop the Sand,....
It's floating in suspension,+ would probably just pass thru it..."

Back