Logo

1981 35hp Evinrude Electic Start Problem

T

Tom Muench

"Electric starter doesn't

"Electric starter doesn't work lately. Can pull start engine. I've noticed that sometimes if I push key for auto choke it might work but when I turn key to engage starter I hear a sparking noice on the right side on the engine, then the choke won't work either. Can you help? Only a couple items on that side, Starter and selenoid?
Thanks Tom"

look around where somewhere th

look around where somewhere there might be a spot where the wires are jumping or grounding

or check you battery connection mabe its a bit rusty or coroded

let me know if none of this is a problem

"Can't see any wires that

"Can't see any wires that might cause the problem. Battery is new and I've clean the connections. This electric start problem has been around for at lease a couple of years where it wouldn't start sometimes unless I pull Started it first and has become more frequent till now, where starter doesn't seem to get power? This motor doesn't get used that much and looks clean inside. THanks for your Interest.
Tom"

Take out and clean the threads

Take out and clean the threads both in block and the stud where you have the battery ground (-) connected. Then take a volt meter and measure the voltage at the starter motor when you try to start and do the same at the B+ at the relay. It should be no difference. If a voltage drop Your relay is probably defective.

"Ended up pulling the starter,

"Ended up pulling the starter, it worked by directly hooking to a battery. So, I cleaned all connections(base connection of starter seemed loose)and put all back and it worked. Starter engages for now.
Thanks"

Back