Logo

Gray Marine 135 siezed while sitting for a year

S

Steve Grove

"My Gray Marine 135 in my 58 C

"My Gray Marine 135 in my 58 Century Resorter sat for a year with the old oil in it while I redid the wood and upholstery. Rebuild carb, distributor, and starter... The engine did turn over previously but the crank doesn't budge at all now. I've put Marvel Mystery oil in spark plug holes but can;t find a way to turn a oil pump to get oil into my bearings. Any input with be appreciated."

"Hello, I had this problem bef

"Hello, I had this problem before, the rings are stuck. The oil pump isnt going to help. Try prying on the flywheel starter teeth. Use thin oil delute with fuel oil. If that doesnt work remove the head and tap on pistons with a short piece of wood and hammer. For parts call Engine Center, 2351 Hilton Ferndale Mi. 248-399-0002"

"There is an easier way. Fill

"There is an easier way. Fill the block with very hot water. This will expand the cylinders just enough to break the rings loose. Don't fail to drain out the hot water and rewinterize. Once the hot water is in the block for a minute or so, the starter should be enough to break it free."

I just had this issue. It was

I just had this issue. It was aggravated by a locked generator. Once I removed the belts and oiled thhe cylinders I was able to turn the engine manually. When the starter turned the engine freely a compression and leakdown test was performed.

Back