Logo

Outdrive

milky

"Sorry I did not explain, the

"Sorry I did not explain, the squealing at the rear of the engine inside the boat at the begining of start up if it has been sitting for a day or so, goes away on average,30 seconds to 45,any ideas."

Well if it is not an old girlf

Well if it is not an old girlfriend than
I would look at tightening the altenator belt/powerstering belt. That is where I would start. If you are 100% sure it is comming from the back of the "engine" than possibly it could be the Gimbal Bearing. If it is the gimbal bearing and it is squealing on startup I would hate to hear what it sounds like when under normal load........You could grease it with a minimum of 10 to 15 full pulls of a grease gun. the fitting is at 4 oclock on the transom assembly at the outside back (transom)of the boat.

Other possibilities would be starter staying engaged or possibly the flywheel rubbing housing or maybe the coupler to ujoint shaft.

"grease it with a minimum

"grease it with a minimum of 10 to 15 full pulls of a grease gun"

Do so while the engine is idling.

"No!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not recco

"No!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not reccomend doing any simple maitenance with the boat running unless it is specified to do so in the manuals. I do not ever remember seeing anything written to that effect.

This is the normal once a year or every 100 hours greasing that should be done. If you have ever watched the gimble bearing while grasing it, it takes at least 1/2 dozen pumps to completely grease the bearing.

I do 10 - 15 on every boat I touch. Whats a little grease spinning around in the bellows anyway!! Guarenteed the bearing is well greased!!"

"I beg to differ. Dumping a g

"I beg to differ. Dumping a glob of grease in a stationary location does not distribute the lubricant equally even after starting the engine.

When the bearing is rotating the rollers are given an equal dose of grease.

The next time you pull the OD on your boat, grease the bearing your way first. You will find a glob of grease in one spot in the bellows, not the bearing!

ANYONE CARE TO COMMENT? WE HAVEN'T HAD A HEATED DISCUSSION SINCE THE OIL FILTER FIASCO A FEW MONTHS BACK."

IF the gimbal bearing is insta

IF the gimbal bearing is installed correctly!!

The grease flows completely around the bearing and flows thru holes in the outer race to the balls themselves. Had many appart when inspecting failures.

So if YOU look closely when grease is pumped in it "should" come out all the way around the inner ball bearing.

Just to be inquisitive......How many gimbal bearings have you yourself installed/serviced?
At my last count I would say 3000 + ( thats installs and serviced)

Belive me when I say do not run the engine while serviceing. To many amatures on this site who may unwittenly put it in gear not paying attention.

That was my reason/point.

"Good point Kghost. Safety fi

"Good point Kghost. Safety first and you got me by 2,998+ gimbals.
blush.gif
Doesn't the Alpha outdrive gimbal bearing rotate in neutral? Mea culpa.
uhoh.gif
Experience counts in my book."

yes it does and it would be ea

yes it does and it would be easy for john does 7 year old son to mistakenly shift it into forward or reverse with out even realizing dad has his hand on the prop while greasing the gimbal bearing......................

"Kg;
You make a great point r

"Kg;
You make a great point regarding the safety issue.

I have never tried to grease one with the engine running, nor would I have thought to try that, but I understand the pros and cons of each way.

I think your way wins out, with junior out of the boat, and the keys in your pocket. That sounds like the best plan to me.

Oh, and please tell us that the latest picture is not really you?"

Rod S

OK you asked for it

Rod S

OK you asked for it here is one taken last month

If it gets posted

Just so anyone who cares can see what I actually look like. I understand it is always a mistory on these bulliten boards what the people who are answering and posting really look like.

Back