Logo

37L power rating

atilla_boy

Regular Contributor
"whats the difference in the d

"whats the difference in the differt HP rating of this motor I just traded my 1986, 196 Larson Citation with a 3.7L 180 hp for a 1985 226 Galaxy sport cuddy cabin and it has a 3.7L 170hp motor. I know that the 180 had a four barrel carb and the Galaxy has a 2 barrel on it.. is it just the carb and intake or is there more?? I have also seen a 190 Hp 3.7L what makes it 20 more ponies than mine cause I'd like to get a few more out of her but only if it a factory thing I don't want to put a bunch of after market parts or anything on her cause I want it to have the reliablity of the stock motor. just like to have a couple more ponies cause its alot heavier than the little open bow I traded for her.

Also would like to name her "AS SOULS DREAM" What do ya'll think of this name??

216569.jpg
"

"John;
Nice boat!
I would th

"John;
Nice boat!
I would think a 22' cuddy might be a little underpowered with 170 hp, but it depends on what you are going to do with it I guess.

I am always the guy who pushes yeah, more power. You could always swap a 220 hp 4.3 or even something bigger into it, but of course fuel consumption will take a hit. You are pushing a longer and heavier boat so fuel will be a bigger issue no matter what you do.

As for the name; that's a great one.

I am reminded of last week out at the cabin in BC my beloved and I set out to the middle of the lake one night just at dusk. We just shut off the engine and drifted for a couple of hours drinking red wine, listening to soft music and watching the heavens.
(Yes, we had the anchor light on per regulations, though technically we were not anchored.)
We finally headed back about midnight, only because we had run out of wine!

It was a very pleasant time, and your name kind of catches that spirit quite well.

Rod"

"I'm w/Rod on the engine.

"I'm w/Rod on the engine. The money you would spend to get 15-20 more ponies would be better off spent on a new 4.3L EFI 220 HP V-6. The old engine should give a good trade value or will sell easily if for parts alone.

I would rather have a Clydesdale (4.3L) lumbering along knowing it will get going when needed than have an old Jackass (3.7L) working his butt off. When comparing cruising speeds and fuel consumption between the two engines, I would think the 4.3L EFI would be similar to the carbed 3.7L. What do I know?
crazy.gif
"

"I am with Guy right down the

"I am with Guy right down the line on this.
Plus the 4.3 has a bullet-proof reputation.
As long as you don't freeze it or run it without water or oil, it will usually outlast the boat and its owner.

Rod"

as for crusing speed I really

as for crusing speed I really don't care.. I just was wondering if the four barrel carb would help some cause it ran sooo good in my little boat..and I'm very gas conserative so a bigger motor is out of the ? ....

"[b]"cause I want it to ha

""cause I want it to have the <u>reliablity of the stock motor</u>. it has a 3.7L 170hp motor."

Ayuh,.....
rofl.gif

I Agree with Rod,+ Guy,.....

I think I've mentioned before to go to Chevy power........"

Keep in mind of how much money

Keep in mind of how much money you want to spend! Going from an inline four to a V-6 motor will require a few extra (an not cheap) parts. I believe the outdrive ratio is different as well between the 470 and the 220HP.

"I'm not as experienced as

"I'm not as experienced as some here but this is what I understand. The motor essentially came with either a 2 brl or 4 brl. They have different intakes. The 4 brl has 20 more HP than the 2 brl. The other change was rating the motor at the shaft vs the crank which is why you see the 180 hp version. No change in design,just different rating.

You can find dead motors for a couple hundred bucks that have the 4 brl and manifold and change it off but its marginally worth the effort unless you are already doing something else. 20 HP might give you 3-7 mph on the top end however you might gain some tuning and efficiency if you know how to tune carbs for the RPM you are running at.

Its interesting guys are saying just toss in a 6k motor to pick up an extra few horses. After offsetting the extra 300 or so lbs of weight you won't gain too much. The 470 is known for being pretty efficient and if you decide to do some work on it in the future you can grab an extra 30-50 hp out of it by the 4 brl, roller rockers, tuning the manifolds and higher compression pistons.

There are some guys who despise the motor and will tell you to junk it regardless of any other details. I don't have a ton of experience with it but from what I have seen the problems have been worked out. If I'm wrong, I hope someone will correct me. You can do a search or we can go into detail of what you need to know.

If you go with a 4.3, you should not need to change the drive ratio."

Back