Logo

MCM470 Alternator Conversion Adapter

jw_in_dixie

Regular Contributor
"Lost the initial thread but h

"Lost the initial thread but here is a photo of the adapter I made to install a belt-driven Marine Alternator on my 470 when the original voltage regulator went out. There also is a 1/4" x 1" x 4" long strap to tension the belt. Hope this helps others. JW in Dixie
216565.jpg
Alternator conversion adapter

can you show it installed... A

can you show it installed... Also I want to run an additional Marine Alternator on mine to charge the house batteries is there a way to hook up an additional Marine Alternator to just charge house batteries on a seperate system???

John:

Why not just install

John:

Why not just install a 80-100 AMP alternator with isolators to charge all the batteries? You'll need a 6 gauge output wire for it. You can buy the kit to charge additional batteries w/the alternator. How many and what type house batteries?

"That's a CDI. The motor h

"That's a CDI. The motor has a points/coil ignition so I added the CDI to raise the voltage to the plugs. That's a very old unit but still works fine. Doubt if you can buy those anymore.
Back in the fifties and sixties we added those on our cars and trucks. I even put one on a 1968 Evinrude 55 HP outboard, after the $300 factory one pooped out. Worked as long as I had the boat and motor. More than one way to skin a cat. JW"

JW:

Two prime examples of s

JW:

Two prime examples of saving money while improving on what the mfgrs. built to make them money. Doesn't the CDI provide multiple sparks per plug firing? Another improvement to ensure complete burning of the fuel/air mixture. Just my thoughts.

"Doesn't the CDI provide m

"Doesn't the CDI provide multiple sparks psr plug "firing?"

Been a long time since I was into one of those things, but here's what I recall: There is a pair of transistors that alternate the 12v dc to ac which feeds into a transformer which steps up the voltage to about 450, as I recall. Then an SCR takes the load off of the points and triggers the large capacitor which discharges into the coil. Whether it is AC or DC at that point I forget. If AC, then, yes, it might make multiple sparks, I think. The main advantages: a much hotter spark and very little current handled by the points, therefore longer point life.

I still have a few of those things in the shop - have to take a look at the circuit. JW in Dixie"

"OK nice install JW. I have a

"OK nice install JW. I have a few questions. What did you do with the stator cooling hoses, run them differently or block them off? Did you leave the stator in the boat, it looks like it but just making sure.

Are you running an electric fuel pump? What brand and what psi? Have you noticed any improvements? Thanks"

"Stator cooling hoses? Let me

"Stator cooling hoses? Let me understand, the stator is under the flywheel, is it not? And to my knowledge there are no cooling hoses to that. There was a block-mounted voltage regulator that is water cooled. When I converted to the belt-driven alt, I just taped the two yellow wires from the original stator (alternator) separately and went on my merry way. I eliminated the V-reg($400 part!) and in its place installed a copper tee to which a small tube is attached, leading to a under-dash pressure switch (from a washing machine) connected to a light and horn which warns of low water pressure. When I turn on the ignition switch, the low water horn and light blare our - when the motor starts and water pressure exists they go out. If the dang impeller gives out underway (again) I will know it instantly (this time!). Burned my exhaust bellows, trim wires, etc and scared my wife out of ever boating again. In one of the photos you can see the pressure switch (used $5) lying on the deck before I installed it.

Yes, that's an electric fuel pump off, Bendix, I think. I thought the manual pump was getting weak so I just added the electric in case it goes out far from home. I could not keep a fuel check valve working so I also put a rubber squeeze bulb in the line. A 1979 machine is a constant challenge. Cheers, JW in Dixie"

Back