Logo

Grinding while prop is engaging

pjuelharte

"I inherited an old boat from

"I inherited an old boat from my brother-in-law, '89 Mercruiser 4.3L Alpha I stern drive. I got it running, but when I engage the prop, it rattles and grinds for a while, then quits as the prop is spinning. It also grinds when I turn the steering wheel. Also, the throttle needs adjusting. The engine doesn't throttle up until the shifter is pushed almost all the way forward. Are these going to be an expensive repairs?"

"Alphas make quite a racket sh

"Alphas make quite a racket shifting out of water; it can be kind of scary.
Suggest you shift quickly. This usually helps a lot. If not, your lower shift cable may be stiff, and it will need replacing.

The grinding while turning might be u joints, gimbal bearing, or PS pump.

You should get a written estimate from a reliable shop before getting any of this done. You can do it yourself if you are mechanical or have help from someone who is experienced.

Rod"

"the throttle needs adjust

"the throttle needs adjusting. The engine doesn't throttle up until the shifter is pushed almost all the way forward"

The carb needs a rebuild. MAKE SURE they install a 1/4" thick carb base gasket from Merc.; ACCEPT NO ALTERNATES!!

"Pamela:

The very first two

"Pamela:

The very first two things you want to have done is an engine compression checked and a survey of the condition of the floor, stringers (like floor joists) and transom (back of boat). What they need to check is the integrity of the wood under the fiberglass (wood dry/wet rot) and the engine's condition. If both of those items pass then investigate the cost of all other maintenance and repairs. Wood rot is an expensive repair on a boat. BTDT!

Other items:

Replace the OD impeller water pump. Do you know if he ever had all of the bellows replaced? If not, you are looking at $1,200-$2,000 for a dealer to replace all bellows, water intake hose, lower shift cable and OD impeller. A remanuf. carb from a dealer is about $450-$600. The engine coupler may be on its last leg; $1,200-$1,800 since the engine needs to be pulled. Can't check it unless OD is removed. Exhaust manifolds and risers, if needed, are about $500 plus labor.

There is a countless number of things that can go wrong w/boats as they age. But, putting in $2K-$3K now can make it run for another 5-10 years w/regular maintenance.

And incidentally; 1989 is not an "old boat". My 1987 runs just fine after the few grand I put in her. Just kidding.
sun.gif

You might save money in the long run to have the boat professionally surveyed to know where you stand.

Good luck and keep the questions coming; everyone will help with their expertise."

Back