Logo

Timing Belt Should the marks always be aligned

jamie392

Contributing Member
"When you first install a belt

"When you first install a belt you line up all the marks on the sprockets to those on the block. Then you put the belt on and align the marks on the belt to those on the sprockets. After running the engine awhile should the marks on the belt be way off from those on the sprockets?

Mine are... This is an AQ125B. Roughly the marks on the sprockets still appear to be lined up to those on the block, but the belt is way off, and I would think that this shouldn't happen....

Thanks a lot
Jamie"

"One more big question. With a

"One more big question. With all marks aligned, and timing belt installed, should the mark on the crank pulley line up with 0 degree TDC? I would think it should. Mine doesn't, I think that I am off a couple teeth! (I think the mark i found on the crankcase was not the correct mark, my crankcase does not look like the pictures i've seen posted by EP...)"

"I do not follow the marks on

"I do not follow the marks on the belt, in my case they were off. Make sure the crankshaft, cam and accessory drive are aligned correctly and you are good to go, regardless of where the marks on the belt are.

If in doubt, check your manual.

Have a great day,

Rob."

Back