Logo

Engine swaps from 30 to v8

dip_krew

how difficult is this to do? t

how difficult is this to do? the boat i got was very cheap but came with a motor i knew would not be strong enough for wakeboarding (170hp 3.0 merc)

will i need to change the alpha 1 outdrive as well or can i just drop a chevy 350 in it?

"You obviously haven't con

"You obviously haven't considered the stringers and mounts needed for the V8. Your boat was powered with a 3.0L for a reason. The price point desired made is impossible to use a bigger motor, so they built the boat accordingly. If it's a small boat (16'-18'), buy the boat that suits your needs. A small boat powered by a 3.0L motor isn't made for a V8 and the corresponding speed, stresses, etc. Also, your drive isn't the right one for a V8. It's really not worth the money, time and effort. Better to find a boat made with a V8 with mechanical problems."

"Then there's manifolds, m

"Then there's manifolds, marine carb, marine fuelpump, marine starter, etc, another $1,200. easy.

Bob"

if you can get it to fit go fo

if you can get it to fit go for it. You will have to change the gear ratio in the drive to about 1.5 to 1 and maybe the prop. I have found a company selling gear sets for under $400.00.

Will the 3L bell housing (rear Support) and crank shaft coupler work on the V8? They might be two more things to add to the list.

What type of boat do you have?

"the boat is a 1985 malibu 180

"the boat is a 1985 malibu 180

i was told by someone who has done the swap that the bell housing will work, and all i need to change is the mounts and the out drive gears"

Back