Logo

OT emergency parts to carry

dhyams

Regular Contributor
"Having been stranded on the w

"Having been stranded on the water now four (!) times since I bought this boat last year, I wanted to find out what ideas you guys have as far as carrying spare parts on-board for fixes. I was thinking about buying and carrying:
1) ignition coil
2) spare battery
3) spare starter solenoid
4) jumper cables

Things that I already have include:
1) two different flashlights
2) well stocked toolbox
3) lengths of wire, wire nuts, splicing supplies
4) spare prop and mounting hardware
5) stern lube & engine oil

On the spare battery, I was hoping to find a jet-ski or ATV type battery that was small, but could provide enough cranking amps to get me going."

As far as the battery goes. Th

As far as the battery goes. The booster pack is the best bet. That eliminates a battery and booster cables and is easy to carry and some models have a light.

"why you got stranded and what

"why you got stranded and what you fixed?
what type motor?
using a 2 battery setup and switch would eliminate the need to carry a battery.
complete tune up kit (if points), rotor and cap for electronic.
primer bulb from a outboard in case your fuel pump goes bad.
extra hose clamps, some wire, tape, wire cutters,connectors, hoses,extra fuel sep filters, filter wrench,"

"Last year, stranded twice due

"Last year, stranded twice due to weak/no spark, the day and the second day after I bought the boat. I was also helpless in terms being a boat mechanic at that time.

This year, about a month ago, a bad kill switch killed power in the ignition wire. I spliced past the kill switch on the water because I suspected it, but the splice was bad. Last weekend, dead battery. Fun times.

Great idea on the primer bulb.

On the booster pack, would 300A be enough, or would I need 600A?

Motor: 4.3L Mercruiser."

"Daniel;
Don't know if yo

"Daniel;
Don't know if you already have these, but here it is:
-anchor
-signalling light or device
-ship to shore radio, or cell phone
-complete spare set of fuel filters
-spare belt or belts
-PS and trim fluids

BD's sugestion of dual batteries is a good one.

Much of what you carry on board will depend on how much space you have and how far your trips take you from home port. If you only go short distances, much can be eliminated.

Rod"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
biggrin.gif
"

Daniel:

600A booster pack w

Daniel:

600A booster pack will provide plenty of juice for an extended period. What's the cost diff.?

"About 2X: $80 vs. $40 or so.

"About 2X: $80 vs. $40 or so. I would really only want the booster for an emergency situation, so just one crank. I don't have any fancy accessories on the boat, so power draw while underway should be low."

if I understand your situation

if I understand your situation and you anticipate more problems without bieng sure of things before you take it out you may as well buy another boat and tow it along that way if the one you are using breaks or breaks down you can just jump in the other one and continue with your day..................

What did not make sense?

If

What did not make sense?

If he carries anymore stuff to help fix anymore problems he may as well have a spare boat also just incase.............

"That "he" would be me

"That "he" would be me I guess. On one extreme, you take no emergency gear and you're helpless if something goes wrong. On the other extreme, you tow an extra boat; a replacement part for everything.

It should be obvious that I was trying to put together a kit that would cover as large of a range of problems as I could given space constraints."

"I understand, Just making a j

"I understand, Just making a joke...........

If offshore (ocean) one can never be too cautious.

If in fresh water in a lake other than the great lakes or ones near that size, one only needs to make sure that ones boat is ready to go before putting in the water. I understand not everything can be seen before hand but if you worry to much and carry to much there will be no room for the beer!"

"Daniel:

Try to relax your

"Daniel:

Try to relax your mind about your boat breaking down. Just keep up on the PM and enjoy it when it works. I went 2 yrs. w/o a breakdown until the carb flooded the other day. Rebuilt it the next day and it's running great. I have a 21 yr. old carb I removed due to age and leaks and am considering sending it out for exchange just to have a spare that I can slip on if I am stuck a long way from home. Paranoiya drives me nuts too.
sun.gif
"

Back