Logo

Canbt get spark from Mercruiser 120 coil

sgrant

"My recently purchased 1979 Me

"My recently purchased 1979 Mercruiser 120 has a tan wire that's supposed to (according to the manual) go from the positive coil terminal to the starter solenoid (not the relay slave solenoid, but the one in the starter housing). The solenoid only has two posts; one for the red wires (battery) and another one for the yellow lead (from the slave solenoid). The manual shows a 3rd (separate) post for the tan lead, but my solenoid only has two. The tan wire was not connected when I bought the boat, but supposedly it was running a few years ago with this set up. I checked the continuity for every wire from the coil and they all check OK, and the coil, coil wire, and resistance wire also check OK per the manual. Despite all this, I can not get any spark from the end of the coil wire. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, SG"

"Ayuh,....

You've got a

"Ayuh,....

You've got an Automotive Starter,+ Not a Marine rated Starter.....

Get the Right Starter,+ it'll have the Required terminals....."

He may have a newer style star

He may have a newer style starter........

The newer style starters do not have the +12 volts ingition terminal.

The starter solenoid itself can be replaced with one with two terminals. You need to make sure the starter is correctly set up as a marine starter if the solenoid is replaced.

I can assist in this but I will not post the info here.

You can contact me thru my email.

Back