Logo

Dropped valve

A

andymuz

just had loads of work carried

just had loads of work carried out on my boat had the head skimed and the valves reground and the moter serviced started gr8 was out for ten mins and wouldend go over 2800 revs started to lose power so throtteld back then pop cut out dident start it again got towed back and tied her up enginer has just told me its droped a valve ?????? how could this happen not trying to blame any one just cant see how it could happen

I could possibly describe 100

I could possibly describe 100 scenarios leading to a "dropped valve". About 95 of them point at the rebuild of the motor and related work. This is where a technician that knows how to do failure analysis is worth his weight in gold...

cool im still going to be out

cool im still going to be out of pocket but do you think i can claim moneys back from the enginer or get him to repair the works it was a out side head shop that carried out the skiming ect

"Depends which one of the 100

"Depends which one of the 100 scenarios it was. In 5 of them it's your fault...
my guess is the machine shop will blame the tech and the tech will blame the machinist. Ask nicely, show interest and get their explanation of what went wrong. they might fix it again properly and for free....
This is of course, approximately 500,000 people on boating message boards learning how to do everything themselves. It oddly feels better to know you are going to have no one but yourself to blame when you goof up.
You want to educate yourself to the point where you are happy that it isn't going to happen again. I'd be taking a good look at the original reason you needed work done. Like, did the exhaust manifold casue both failures?"

hy stat it has new risers and

hy stat it has new risers and manifolds and all works carried out by the same enginer im having the head checked and the exhaust manifolds ect pressure tested just to pinpoint how and why thanks for your imput so far

"Could be the valve keepers on

"Could be the valve keepers on the particular valve did not get registered in the groove properly. Weird, but it happens.

If the pistons are new, are they clearanced (grooved) for the valves? If not, and one valve happened to stick partly open (due to being a tight fit in its guide) then bingo, busted valve.

Let us know what you find out.

Rod"

just got the news back from th

just got the news back from the head shop the new exhaust manifiold was cracked inside and it hydro locked dont know were to turn now needs a full rebuild

"Contact the seller of the man

"Contact the seller of the manifold about any warranty and advise them of the report from the engine shop. Then file a claim for damages. Do everything in writing and keep a record of what is done and who, what, when, where on any conversations with anyone.

Check w/your state's Attorney General on your options if they refuse to cover the damages to the engine resulting from a failed warranted part. NOTE: I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY.

It may be a case for Judge Judy; just have all your records, receipts, etc."

thanks everyone for your advic

thanks everyone for your advice im getting a newer 5.7 engine from a wrecked hull not free but but cheeper than a new one the enginer that fixed my boat the first time is going halfers with me i think its fare ?????the company that sold me the manifolid are aware of the situation its out a 1999 boat 11yrs newer

"andymuz
IMHO I think total l

"andymuz
IMHO I think total liability rests with the outfit that sold you the cracked manifold. It was their faulty part that was the initial cause of all your problems. Like Guy advises, keep copious notes, photos etc, just in case.
Bert"

"well, the story changed..it w

"well, the story changed..it was a "new manifold" before..now it's 9 years old. Used is used. When it comes to exhaust, I never recommend used... you are taking a big chance."

"Same old story......Put used

"Same old story......Put used parts on a "new" motor.

When installing a new or newly rebiult motor and you are putting used parts back on it you must be very SURE that the parts are in good working order.

Your mechanic as nice as it is of him to split the cost of a new motor, should not have purchased used parts for your newly rebiult motor. The only used parts should have been known good parts off the original motor. The difference in cost would have been minimal. Now it is going to cost everyone 10 times that amount or more.

I rarely ever "buy" used parts. When I do I make sure they are in proper working order before I use them. Always try to buy new on the small stuff like manifolds, elbow/risers, especially the components that are suceptable to failure.
Just my opinion......."

sorry the engine is a 1999 the

sorry the engine is a 1999 the manifold has a new part lol

Back