Logo

Rust at waterpump weephole manifold and riser question

vinny_c

"I just picked up a 2000 Bayli

"I just picked up a 2000 Bayliner 2150 Capri bowrider 5.0L Merc I/O from the original owner. He kept it in mint shape, clean as a whistle in and out.
I notice there is a little rust at the weephole on the waterpump. There's a tiny bit of rust on the damper pulley below also. Is this normal?
When I bought the boat the marine surveyor's report showed the starboard riser about 40 degrees hotter than port. There's also a bit of rust around where the riser and manifold meet. Can I wait until the end of the season to change it out? Do the mainfolds need to be changed out too? How can you tell if they are bad or good?
Also, the impeller in the outdrive was never changed, should I do it at the end of the season, or wait until it's a problem? What are the symptoms that it might need ot be changed now?"

""rust at the weephole on

""rust at the weephole on the waterpump" Pump bearing seal is shot and the pump will need replaced; don't wait until you are 20 miles out and hear the bearing squealing or it locks up.

"surveyor's report showed the starboard riser about 40 degrees hotter than port. There's also a bit of rust around where the riser and manifold meet."

Pull both of the manifolds and risers and have them cleaned and pressure tested at a radiator shop unless they have been run in salt water; then just replace them. Inspect exhaust shutters while they are off.

"impeller in the outdrive was never changed, should I do it at the end of the season, or wait until it's a problem"

DO IT ALL NOW; don't wait for the dam to break before patching the hole in your canoe.

Check/change the plugs now. You have asked good questions Vincent.
sun.gif
My boat is loaded and I am headed to the reservior to fish.
whistle.gif
"

Back