Logo

470 question

lec1956

"hi i have a 79 gradywhite wit

"hi i have a 79 gradywhite with a merc 470, 20'. it runs great but this weekend it lost all of its antifreeze while we were setting fishing. not knowing that it started to run hot. so shut it down and checked coolant and found none there. can't tell where it went can i get some help please.could my exchanger went bad and dumped out to the water. thanks larry"

If the antif. is not in the bi

If the antif. is not in the bilge then it went out thru the heat exchanger or exhaust riser. It could be in the block; how much oil is on the stick?

hi the oil is good on the stic

hi the oil is good on the stick and as clean as when i changed it. the motor never steamed or burned a white.

It may be the heat exchanger o

It may be the heat exchanger or the antifreeze tank. Pinch the antifreeze lines to the heat exchanger shut w/needle nose vise grips or disconnect the hoses and plug the ends and pressurize the tank fill neck w/a radiator pressure tester from AutoZone to 15 PSI. If it won't hold pressure you found the leak. If it does hold pressure you need to get the heat exchanger repaired or replaced.

Back