Logo

Gas on top of carb

chapter_1

"Hello,

I have a 1985 mercr

"Hello,

I have a 1985 mercruiser 5.7 260hp, the tag on the carb reads MCM 260/270 1347 8292. I've been having some stalling under load so I just changed full filters and now I have gas floating on the top of the carb and the boat will not idle. I suspect the float is stuck. Also I can't seem to find rebuilt carbs for this, any ideas????

Engine SN is A330383, can't seem to find that either..."

Kit Carson

As per the gas

Kit Carson

As per the gas on the top of the carb. Did you get all the gaskets set in place on the carb inlet properly?
Bert

1985 Merc. PN: 1347-816373A4

1985 Merc. PN: 1347-816373A4 4 barrel carb

1985 Merc. PN: 3310-861080A1 2 barrel carb

NOTE: VERY IMPORTANT when ordering a carb provide this number 1347 8292

"Bert,
All I did was to repla

"Bert,
All I did was to replace fuel filters, not sure if the gas on the top of the carb was a previous problem or not but I'm guessing it was...

Kit"

Kit Carson
There is a filter

Kit Carson
There is a filter in the inlet portion of the carb. I takes a couple small plastic washers when assembling it. The washers may be hooped.
Bert

"When I took the fuel line off

"When I took the fuel line off there was the filter and a spring, it's a side mount brass fitting fuel line. I'm pretty sure I have it on right.

http://marinecarburetor.com/index.html
I found this site that has a rebuilt carb for about $230, for that price it's cheaper to just replace the carb then mess with rebuilding myself..."

Spring in 1st then solid end o

Spring in 1st then solid end of filter next to spring.

Kit: let me know of what you think of their work. I may send a 21 yr old 2 BBL for them to reman. it.

I just rebuilt my Mercarb 2BBL today after it flodded last night. I think a piece of gasket used for cross support broke loose and jammed the float open; fuel was pouring into the barrels.

I also caught my dog in the lip w/a treble hook. Clipped it off and had it removed this am.

"Caught Dog!

I've never

"Caught Dog!

I've never hooked a Dog "yet", but I've been close, I can just imagine. I had to stop taking my retriever out because he kept jumping in after lures. I use a cane-pole with a sock tied on to train and play with my dogs, they just think we're out for some fun when I take them fishing.

I didn't have a chance to putts with the carb last night, I hope to get at it tonight."

Back